Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a broadcom bcm5700 nic, and it works fine with the livecd. When I boot into my hdd install though, the nic can't do anything (ping, bring up dhcp, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How do I load a module at botup?

I have a broadcom bcm5700 nic, and it works fine with the livecd. When I boot into my hdd install though, the nic can't do anything (ping, bring up dhcp, forget loading a website!) I did an lsmod in the livecd boot, and found the tg3 module used by the nic (when I did rmmod on the tg3 the nic stopped working). Now when I do a modprobe tg3, and then lsmod, tg3 is listed, but the nic doesn't work (this is true in the livecd after a rmmod, and on my harddrive installation) Does the module need to be loaded at bootup, and if so, how do I do this. I've googled around, and the best I can find seems to need to know the location of the module on the harddrive. How do I find this out??

Thanks in advance.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Linux Newbie
    to get modules to load up at bootup just modify a file called something like /etc/modules.autoload or /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, and just uncomment the name of the module that you want to have loaded up at bootup. you could also add the appropiate modprobe command to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file or /etc/init.d/local file. file name stuff depends on the distro you are using.

Just Joined!
    Hello.

If you are talking about your Gentoo distro:

type:
    Code:
    find /lib/modules/<your kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.ko' | less
    and you should get a listing of the available modules on your system. Find the name of the module you need, and add it to the modules autoload.d file thus:
    Code:
    nano -w /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-<your version>
    Then type:
    Code:
    modules-update
    If I have misunderstood your question then excuse the reply

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    when you have loaded the module you then need to configure the card with either dhcp or ifconfig.

after the module is loaded do "ifconfig eth0" and it should list your network card then you can set it up with an ip adress etc. you are probably useing dhcp though.

read the instructions here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=0&chap=0

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I'll try the module configuring. I have the gentoo handbook. and am able to start dhcp manually, but thanks for the instructions anyway; a dhcp problem could keep me mystified for weeks!
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...