Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to "emerge nvidia-glx" and that's what I get: gentoo linux # emerge nvidia-glx Calculating dependencies ...done! !!! Error: the x11-base/xorg-x11 package conflicts with another package. !!! both can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Am I using emerge correctly?

I tried to "emerge nvidia-glx" and that's what I get:

gentoo linux # emerge nvidia-glx
    Calculating dependencies ...done!

!!! Error: the x11-base/xorg-x11 package conflicts with another package.
    !!! both can't be installed on the same system together.
    !!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

I tried the emerge --pretend and that's the output

gentoo linux # emerge --pretend nvidia-glx

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
    [blocks B ] x11-base/xorg-x11 (from pkg x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6)
    [blocks B ] x11-base/xorg-x11 ("virtual/x11" from pkg x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6)
    [ebuild N ] app-arch/unzip-5.50-r2
    [ebuild N ] app-arch/cabextract-0.6
    [ebuild N ] x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6
    [ebuild N ] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.4496

What did I do wrong? The handbook didn't mention the possibility of this happening (when installing X-server)

Just Joined!

Re: Am I using emerge correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by maol9883
    What did I do wrong? The handbook didn't mention the possibility of this happening (when installing X-server)
    I meant when I install the nvidia libraries after emerging xorg.

Just Joined!
    I never emerged xfree only xorg so I don't understand why it's yapping about xfree... I don't have access to the internet yet. I first need a wm and a graphic web browser to be able to enter a username and password before I can access the newer ebuilds.

xfree(86) is what used to be known as "X" - the heart of the graphics in linux, but it's kinda dead now -- afaik due to a licensing issue. Xorg is based on xfree86 (before xfree86 "died"), the config files use the same syntax and, well, it's basically a transparent 'upgrade' from xfree86. I say uppgrade since, Xorg has made more progres in 3 months than xfree86 in 3 years.
    Not sure if you must unmerge xfree before emerging xorg or if the ebuild for xorg automatically uppgrades (saves the old config, etc).
    For now, untill you've uppgraded to xorg (which I strongly recomend), you should use the "nv" driver, which is the in-official nvidia driver, the official driver is named 'nvidia' and is got much more performance, but the 'nv' driver will be enugh to get you a working graphics mode.

Btw, you might use for instance elinks (text mode browser, actually quite nice, no annoying graphics, just the text, well, some formatting exists and pages look a little odd/stripped, but it works ) to login to internet if the login is web based.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by scientica
    Btw, you might use for instance elinks (text mode browser, actually quite nice, no annoying graphics, just the text, well, some formatting exists and pages look a little odd/stripped, but it works ) to login to internet if the login is web based.
    Hmm the reason I want to install the nvidia drivers is because I want to be able to run GNOME or Fluxbox, but I just heard I might not need them to run a wm. I have my XP partition for games and such. The Gentoo is mostly for learning and in the future working.

One thing that bothers me is that i typed:

# emerge xorg

and got xfree packages (among others).

Elinks huh? I assume it's included on the package CD, otherwise I'll be hard pressed to emerge it
    Well I guess I could mount my windows partition and have it downloaded there...

Linux Engineer
    the cause of this error is that you are using the wrong profile, here is how to switch:

Code:
    rm /etc/make.profile
    ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/<arch>/2004.2 /etc/make.profile
    change the "default-linux/<arch>" to the correct path.

now when you

Code:
    emerge -av nvidia-glx
    xorg will no longer be listed as a blocker, this is because that in the old profile xorg-x11 did not exist or was masked and it is now the default in the new profiles. So you should now be able to merge nvidia np!

cheers,

variant.