Find the answer to your Linux question:
After many days of talking and trying to get someones attention on #gentoo I finally found out why I can have music playing on XMMS, but no sound on Gaim, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sound problem

After many days of talking and trying to get someones attention on #gentoo I finally found out why I can have music playing on XMMS, but no sound on Gaim, and vice versa.

Someone said it was a chip problem. Any one have a clue how to fix this?

Linux Engineer
    please post all the information that might be relavent, to help with your question i will probably need the following:

your kernel version (uname -r)
    the sound server you use (alsa,oss)
    your sound card type (lspci will tell you this)
    your USE flags

Just Joined!
    If you mean that only one application can use the soundcard at the same time, I'm having the same problem. I think it's something with ALSA. Maybe it'll get better in the future... When I'm running XMMS and Gaim at the same time, all the sound from the application started after the other will stack and won't get a change to play until I exit the first problem leading to the second one fireing off a **** load of beeps from all the msg I've gotten during that time.

Just Joined!
    You need to use a sound mixer. Arts and dmix is a good start. I haven't tried it myself, but I think that's a good place to start.

Just Joined!

Firefox

I have the exact same problem. If you are using firefox and trying to goto a flash site and cant hear sound try using the following command to open firefox:
    Code:
    artsdsp firefox
    That should fix firefox. Im not sure about gaim yet, still trying to fix that.