Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Quick Update - My friend who is on holiday from work has managed to dial in and fix the issue Im not sure what went wrong/missing. But when the machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quick Update - My friend who is on holiday from work has managed to dial in and fix the issue

Im not sure what went wrong/missing. But when the machine boots without the livecd it happily loads GRUB and lets me pick my version.

Although unfortunatly, after this screen it all goes pearshaped and presents more errors when trying to load the kernel/root. I may try and post details but thanks all for your input

It's the first error you need to look at, rest of them is irrelevant as they are just caused by first one.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    It looks to me like your kernel line in the grub.conf should be "hda1", since you have a separate /boot partition. Are you not able to mount the partition to make this change? I've never used Gentoo and I know it's a little different installing it?
    I keep trying to chroot into the enviroment to change the GRUB conf file but it just tells me that it doesnt exist - I've googled and found a few people who seem to have had the same issue - which looks like it can be resolve by re-installing the tarbel file but i dont want to install that if i risk loosing my kernel and make.conf file

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by doramide7 View Post
    I keep trying to chroot into the enviroment to change the GRUB conf file but it just tells me that it doesnt exist
    To update the contents of the grub conf file you can just mount the partition. I suggest you take this approach rather than repeating extract again.
    Kernel and .config should not be over-written but just to be on the safe side copy /usr/src/linux/.config and /boot/whatever_you_called_your_kernel to a pen drive

In fact, Grub can be configured on fly, just hit E and edit. After successful boot up you can make changes permanent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2