Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, as you may see from a previous post I had problems upgrading mysql. THe service jsut wouldnt start, but that is now solved. I have a new problem. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mysql_upgrade error! 5.1 ERROR 144

Hi all, as you may see from a previous post I had problems upgrading mysql.

THe service jsut wouldnt start, but that is now solved.

I have a new problem.

The mysql service is now happily running etc. but when I try to run this in the shell I get problems!

I am logged in shell as root and have root mysql access.

Code:
    mysql_upgrade
    Results in:

Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/mysql/help_topic.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    mysql.proc
    error : 1 when fixing table
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/mysql/proc.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    mysql.time_zone_name
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/mysql/time_zone_name.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/mysql/time_zone_name.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    ntp.punbb_config
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/ntp/punbb_config.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    ntp.punbb_extension_hooks
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/ntp/punbb_extension_hooks.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    ntp.punbb_extensions
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/ntp/punbb_extensions.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    ntp.punbb_online
    note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair
    ntp.punbb_search_cache
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/ntp/punbb_search_cache.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    ntp.punbb_users
    Error : Can't change ownership of the file '/var/lib/mysql/ntp/punbb_users.MYD' (Errcode: 1)
    Running 'mysql_fix_privilege_tables'...
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 460: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 507: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 509: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 516: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 519: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 522: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 528: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 531: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 534: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 537: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 543: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 546: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 549: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 552: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 558: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 564: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    ERROR 144 (HY000) at line 566: Table './mysql/proc' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
    Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Hi.
    I've met the same problem. When investigating it I've found that some files in MYSQLROOT/data/mysql directory have permissions rw-rw---- but another rw-r--r-- as well as some of them have different owner group. The problem was solved after I've set rw-rw---- permissions for all files there and changed group to correct one. Hope this helps you.