Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now that I've chosen to use kde rather than gnome, I need some alternate programs that are native to kde/qt. Progs I need alternates for Gimp ---- (can this be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing from gnome 2 kde

Now that I've chosen to use kde rather than gnome, I need some alternate programs that are native to kde/qt.

Progs I need alternates for
    Gimp ---- (can this be compiled with kde support?)
    Firefox --- (can this be compiled with kde support?)
    Gaim --- (Kopete? I've used this before but didn't like it too much, I only use msn btw.)
    Games --- (Knights?)
    Programming --- ( I want to do java and c and possibly c++, can kdevelop handle all this?)
    Office --- (I'll probably use OOo rather than k*, unless k* suddenly gets ms support, mainly .doc and .(powerpoint))
    Eog --- (any good image viewers?)

BTW can konqueror use java? I want to be able to play yahoo chess.

Can I make it so that aps start during startup in kde? lstarting kopete everytime I login? I know I can do this in gnome but.............

Post suggestions for programs in the listed catagories or suggest other good programs please.

Linux User
    All these things can be used with KDE. And if you have kde in your use flags they will be optimized for use on KDE. I can't really recommend anything but gimp, kdraw sucks. Kopete I know is a gaim alternative yes but I've never used it. There's all the k applications like kwrite but imo nothing compares to open office. As for starting programs when you log in I'm not exactly sure. Lastly, I recommend feh as an image viewer, its text based but very handy.