Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello forum, I just installed a recent version of Gentoo (2.6.35-r12 kernel) and Gnome 2.30.2 and gave myself administrative privileges. I can su okay and open programs using gksu on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] No root password prompt

Hello forum,

I just installed a recent version of Gentoo (2.6.35-r12 kernel) and Gnome 2.30.2 and gave myself administrative privileges. I can su okay and open programs using gksu on the command line with no problem. But if I try to open a program from the start menu that requires root privileges, no root password prompt pops up but instead I get a popup window saying I do not have administrative rights to open the program.

I know I can edit the menu editor by prefixing each program name with" gksu" but that is not a fix, that is a workaround.

My question would be how can I get the root password prompt to pop up when access programs from the start menu that require root privileges?

Thanks in advance,
    Roy
    Last edited by rrrssssss; 12-21-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Linux Newbie
    It has been a while, but I believe that gnome uses the usermode package to make this happen. Is this package installed?

Just Joined!
    Hello markcole,

The closest thing Gentoo has for the usermode package is one called usermode-utilities and they are tools for Linux usermode virtual machines. It is not installed. Since I don't have a virtual machine, I figured that was the wrong package. Do you think that is the right package?

Thanks,
    Roy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I installed usermode-utilities but that did not help.

What I did do, however, is make myself a member of the stb-admin group. Then I had to reboot the system for the settings to take place, simply logging out and back in would not work. I also made myself a member of the sabayon-admin group just in case it was needed.

Roy