Find the answer to your Linux question:
well, i figured that i wanted to give it a shot on installing stage2 ,I guess the first time was luck but wonder if you can tell me whats up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem when installing stage2-x86-2004.3.tar.bz2

well, i figured that i wanted to give it a shot on installing stage2 ,I guess the first time was luck but wonder if you can tell me whats up with this,my steps that i do ,mkreiserfs /dev/hda2,mkswap /dev/hda1,swapon /dev/hda1,mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo,mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot,mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot, i install the stages from cd;ls /mnt/cdrom/stages,cd /mnt/gentoo,tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage2-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2 when its almost done istalling a error comes up something to do with /boot/ dont know what to do to fix that

RootWorm what is the exact error? it is hard to geuss what the problem may be without the whole error as it was in your terminal! try to repeat it and post it ...all of it!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

tar:/boot/boot:Cannot create symlink to '.' File exists

Linux Engineer
    you seem to have become a little confused with the partitioning and mounting. from what you say you did, this is what i can see:

you created two partitions hda1 and hda2 you want hda1 to be swap and hda2 to be / but when mounting the partitions you do mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo which is fine if thats where you stop but you then go on to mount /dev/hda2 _again_ this time as /mnt/gentoo/boot! obviously this wont work.. go back and either make 3 partitions or dont try to mount /boot seperatly from /

Just Joined!
    ok so it would be
    mkreiserfs /dev/hda2
    mkswap /dev/hda1
    swapon /dev/hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo
    mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot what should i do from there

Linux Engineer
    no that is still incorrect i sugest you read the installation handbook on http://www.gentoo.org and start again this time following the instructions.

Just Joined!
    No thanks i fixed tha problem

it always helps to re-read something

WOW!...................just
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org