Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I made a thread with my method to using the staging drivers [SOLVED] Using rt2870/rt3070 staging source - Ubuntu Forums I just wish I'd figured this out before I replaced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I made a thread with my method to using the staging drivers
    [SOLVED] Using rt2870/rt3070 staging source - Ubuntu Forums
    I just wish I'd figured this out before I replaced gentoo with debian, I have to haul my desktop downstairs if I want an ethernet connection so I think I'll attempt an install from the existing debian installation.

Quote Originally Posted by gannggstaz View Post
    I made a thread with my method to using the staging drivers
    [SOLVED] Using rt2870/rt3070 staging source - Ubuntu Forums
    I just wish I'd figured this out before I replaced gentoo with debian, I have to haul my desktop downstairs if I want an ethernet connection so I think I'll attempt an install from the existing debian installation.
    I couldn't get the staging drivers to work at all. I am using the 3070 chipset, and I had to change a few things in the source to make it compile. I haven't gotten everything put together yet, so it will be a little while before my how to with the ralink drivers gets up, but full support is supposed to be in the 2.6.38 kernel.

So far this is the only method that works with my specific card that I have tried. The staging drivers loaded, but I had to plug/unplug the card several times to get it to recognize it and even then it was flaky. With the official drivers (with some tweaks), it works every time. I did have a fit trying things and trying to get it to authenticate with my router because I use WPA2 security. I finally got the right combination I guess.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    While compiling a new kernel I did notice under ralink drivers a new rt2870/3070 driver, but I have yet to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by gannggstaz View Post
    While compiling a new kernel I did notice under ralink drivers a new rt2870/3070 driver, but I have yet to try it.
    Yeah, it says the 3070 driver is non-functional, only for developers right now.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I have this figured out now. I am running kernel 2.6.38, and to compile the official ralink drivers, you must enable the intel 2200 wireless module. Just build it as a module, and the ralink drivers will compile. Strange.

On the other hand, on this kernel, the staging drivers are working magnificent. The actual in-kernel so called "stable" drivers only work for about 15 minutes for me and then crap out.

So I will stick with the experimental staging drivers or use the official, which work extremely well.

If you need any help with this, do not hesitate to ask, as I have tried just about everything making this work.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2