Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm installing the ralink RT3070 wireless driver again, but this install I am getting an error in the make function. I'm not sure why this install isn't working, any help? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make error

I'm installing the ralink RT3070 wireless driver again, but this install I am getting an error in the make function. I'm not sure why this install isn't working, any help?

Code:
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/RT3070/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/RT3070/tools'
    /usr/src/RT3070/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /usr/src/RT3070/os/linux/Makefile
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.36-gentoo-r5/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/RT3070/os/linux modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5'
      CC [M] /usr/src/RT3070/os/linux../../os/linux/rt_linux.o
    /usr/src/RT3070/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c: In function 'RtmpOSNetDevAttach':
    /usr/src/RT3070/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c:1581: error: 'struct net_device' has no member named 'wireless_handlers'
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/RT3070/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/RT3070/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5'
    make; *** [LINUX] Error 2

It looks to me that it either it isn't compatible with the kernel you have chosen, or that you don't have an option in the kernel config selected that it needs.

I don't really know, just guessing from the error. I know that wireless in the kernel is moving very fast.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I have previously installed these drivers on a gentoo and ubuntu system, but could a kernel upgrade really make previously compatible drivers incompatible?

Yes, as a matter of fact, that is what usually breaks drivers. Even a kernel patch could break the drivers.

Especially wireless drivers, as the development in that area is moving very quickly.

My advice would be to try a different kernel, whether older or newer, and when you find one that works, stick with it.

If you are getting the same errors with every kernel, then yeah, you have a different problem, but it looks to me that it is an upgraded kernel problem.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I did some searching, and it seems there are some configuration options somewhere before you compile. You wouldn't mind posting the README would you?

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I think I'll make a genkernel kernel and try booting from that in case it's a kernel issue, but the readme is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Genkernel may or may not work, if it has had the same patches and modifications that the regular kernel has had. It may not be a kernel config error, it may just need a patch.

Searching the gentoo forums with google is much better than their own search, so here is the link for the google search. Maybe it can help, I am still sifting through the threads.
    ralink RT3070 site:forums.gentoo.org - Google Search

Also, from what I have been reading, on kernels 2.6.36+ you have to edit some of the source (patch it so to speak) to get it to compile.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

I have now been having some problems with this driver, so I switched to the in-kernel drivers. I know they are experimental, but I can't get the RaLink driver to load with the new kernels. It locks my machine up completely.

So, I just selected the 2870/3070 kernel in the wireless drivers, and the staging drivers. I built them into the kernel, and they work (mostly, sometimes I have to unplug/plug back in to get it to recognize.

The driver is still flaky, and it looks like development is moving quite fast. Hopefully soon they will have it working great.

If I come up with anything else, I will post here.

I have the ASUS N-13 USB Wireless A/B/G/N adapter with the ralink 2870/3070 chipset on Funtoo Linux (using kernel 2.6.37-gentoo-r1).
    Last edited by gruven; 03-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Yes, I did the same and I found a tidbit on a gentoo discussion page that explained how to add the UID of a device that runs the chipset but isn't included in the driver, which was my original reason for compiling it msyelf. I used the Belkin F5D8055 v2 and I switched over to debian before I realized how much easier in kernel drivers are.

Just to follow up on this subject of RT3070STA in Linux, I finally got it working and connecting to my N access point!

It took 2 days of troubleshooting, but I am connected now.

Kernel:
    2.6.37-gentoo-r1

Wireless Drivers (From the RaLink site):
    2011_0107_RT3070_RT3370_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.1_DPO

I am using the distro firmware (linux-firmware) and I have the .dat files in two places, because I wasn't sure which one it was going to use.

I will write more about this after I get the info sorted.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast