Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by nessonic I discovered my internet problem last night after going through the handbook steps a second time. It seems when I was selecting a mirror, I might ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by nessonic View Post
    I discovered my internet problem last night after going through the handbook steps a second time. It seems when I was selecting a mirror, I might have clicked on the rsync link before for the first link? Whatever I did, it's fixed now.

However, now after compiling the kernel it is unable to find "arch/x86/boot/bzImage" even though up a bit it had said "Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)" a bit before finishing compiling.
    Full path is
    Code:
    /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
    if you are in /usr/src/linux, then do this:
    Code:
    cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/whatever you want to call your kernel
    If you have trouble finding something, then you can tab and it will autocomplete the command line for you, like cp arch/x86/boot/b{tab} and it will find the file that starts with "b" and complete that for you.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Thank you! Another step of the way done.

Yet I get stuck right after that, just my luck. On part 7e., the find ..etc. command does not work. "find '/lb/modules/gentoosrc2636/' : No such file or directory"

Yes, gentoosrc2636 is what I named the kernel. Copying it did work, or at least it went into a new line without an error.

I went into /boot/ and typed ls. Sure enough the gentoosrc2636 is there, though I'm unable to enter it (claims no file/directory again). Not sure where this /lib/modules etc. is supposed to be.

edit: Well, went into /lib/modules then ls and found 2.6.36-gentoo-r5. So when I copied the kernel it didn't rename like it was supposed to? Either way, I'm configuring the boot now.
    Last edited by nessonic; 03-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Look under arch/i386/boot
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Currently, I'm on the last bit of step 8. Trying to do emerge pcmciautils and I have the same
    Name or service not known
    error. Yet just a few minutes ago, I plugged in my ethernet cord and hit ifconfig until it got the ip so I could add that into some files. Now I'm wondering if the problem is how I have to unplug the cord back and forth because I have one port and need to have internet on both the linux and this laptop back and forth?

After you disconnect and then reattach the cable to the Gentoo box, you might want to try to get a new IP
    dhcpcd ethx
    Where ethx is your device name.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    This time, after plugging the cord back in, I hit ifconfig and made sure the ip was showing up, then hit emerge etc. For some reason, this worked. If that doesn't work on a subsequent internet hassle, I'll try your option.

Welcome to the world of Gentoo. It doesn't get any better than this.
    I'm running it right now and I get a kick out of playing with it until it breaks.

Just Joined!
    I'm on the final step, finalizing gentoo installation where you boot into the system finally. I installed grub, etc. and can see the GRUB screen select the OS and then attempt to boot into it. However, I get this error:

root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /boot/gentoosrc2636 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/hda3 init=/bin/bb
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3200, size=0x03e27a0]
    initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

---
    I'm wondering if the last line before the error means I was supposed to change that to my kernel name (gentoosrc2636), however I'm not sure how to get back into those files. I stuck the cd back in and rebooted, tried chrooting back in...but /bin/bash was not found. Am I screwed and have to start over again?

Looking over the handbook, initrd I only see for when compiling from if you used genkernel, which I didn't. So naturally I didn't change that file name, as I didn't think I had to add it.
    Last edited by nessonic; 03-02-2011 at 04:08 AM.

This is what your grub.conf should look like (or close to it depending on your partition layout)
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/gentoosrc2636 root=/dev/sda3
    It looks to me like you either didn't compile the correct filesystem into the kernel or you messed up your grub.conf. Since you got an error about an initrd, then it is probably grub.conf.

I put sda because recent kernels use sd* for all hard drive types, not just scsi or sata. Even ide hard drives are identified by sd*.

Another option is to just enter the grub command line and boot your kernel that way.
    Basically, you will hit "c" when grub boots to enter the command line.
    Then, type this:
    Code:
    root (hd0,0) <enter>
    kernel gentoosrc2636 <enter>
    boot <enter>
    I haven't done that in a while but I believe that is what you would want to type. You can always "tab" after you type a couple letters to finish the command or find the file you are looking for. You can always type "help" to bring up a list of commands.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I'm away from the computer now, but as for sda, I used hda as that was what the drives were called back in the original steps of preparing the hdd. I figured go with how it is structured, and every sda mention in the handbook I switched for hda. Hopefully that didn't mess up the entire thing now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast