Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I'm trying to install Gentoo in order to have a distro better suited to my desktop, as I had issues with ubuntu (as evidenced in my other topic, the link ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Gentoo installing- won't connect to internet

I'm trying to install Gentoo in order to have a distro better suited to my desktop, as I had issues with ubuntu (as evidenced in my other topic, the link to which I cannot post).

There was another link through google I found after searching "Fetch failed for 'sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.36-r5" though I cannot post it. My issue was similar to his except I am unable to connect at all, even through the wget method he uses. My connection worked earlier (before I moved into the new environment on the desktop) and since I do not believe it has worked, though I hadn't checked until I tried "emerge gentoo-sources" How do I enable it to access my ethernet connection?

I do not know how I would take the .log file from the desktop to my laptop in order to post it here, and I'm also afraid of turning off the computer in case it doesn't save anything (I've been at this a few hours). Sorry I cannot provide more info at this time.

How are you installing Gentoo? Did you use a LiveCD? An existing Linux install? Are you chrooting?
    IS that your problem?
    Fetch failed for 'sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.36-r5
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Yes, that is my issue. However, I added nameserver <my ip> to resolv.conf and now instead of speeding through looking for a viable mirror, it slowly goes through 7-8 of them "resolving" but gives the same error.

I used the minimal install disk, and I chroot'ed. Though, my command line starts at "livecd gentoo #"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would try to copy the resolv.conf from the Minimal environment straight over to the Gentoo environment.
    cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
    or something along those lines.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    I did that, and noticed it seems I'm back in the minimal disk environment...and going through the same chroot commands doesn't seem to get me back onto the desktop environment?

edit: Now back in what seems to be the same one, as I'm getting the same error from emerge gentoo-sources (when I was on the disk env, emerge wouldn't even be recognized). It still starts with "livecd" for some reason.

If you must close the chroot, it should be okay. Any changes you have made so far, should be saved. I usually close my chroot window several times to make changes and the chroot back in, sometimes it gets confusing and you just need to reset.

Just Joined!
    I restarted the computer to see what would happen, and without the disk it came up with just a flat "error file not found" and with the disk it is the initial screen from when I first stuck the disk in at the beginning of the install. So...back to the beginning, eh?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "close the chroot" window. From my point of view it seems I am in a completely text based environment, where "windows" do not apply?

Quote Originally Posted by nessonic View Post
    I restarted the computer to see what would happen, and without the disk it came up with just a flat "error file not found" and with the disk it is the initial screen from when I first stuck the disk in at the beginning of the install. So...back to the beginning, eh?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "close the chroot" window. From my point of view it seems I am in a completely text based environment, where "windows" do not apply?

Are you following the Gentoo handbook?
    Yes, you are in a text based environment, until you get everything you need installed. Your work is more than likely still there and all you need to do is continue where you left off. Start the minimal CD or any LiveCD really, and chroot back into the install and continue where you left off.

By the chroot window, I meant the terminal window that you are using to chroot.

It's always better to install Gentoo from a LiveCD with a working Internet connection. Try this alternate install method and see if it works better for you. I usually use Knoppix so I can browse the web and play games or what have you while I wait for Gentoo to install.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO

Just Joined!
    I discovered my internet problem last night after going through the handbook steps a second time. It seems when I was selecting a mirror, I might have clicked on the rsync link before for the first link? Whatever I did, it's fixed now.

However, now after compiling the kernel it is unable to find "arch/x86/boot/bzImage" even though up a bit it had said "Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)" a bit before finishing compiling.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast