Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Yesterday I managed to setup and build a Gentoo/Windows installation on my Fujitsu Lifebook (T4215). I compiled the Kernel etc and reboot, to which GRUB loaded find and allowed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ext2fs_check_if_mounted??

Hi,

Yesterday I managed to setup and build a Gentoo/Windows installation on my Fujitsu Lifebook (T4215). I compiled the Kernel etc and reboot, to which GRUB loaded find and allowed me to select my OS.

I have 2 small issues, and 1 major that i need some help with.

1st Small Issue - Installing syslog-ng

I couldn't emerge syslog-ng, it required a package.use file creating, but it turns out i dont have the "/etc/portage" directory inwhich to make "/etc/portage/package.use" that i can put the USE flag for cairo in to emerge syslog-ng.

If i need to do this, it will be via the livecd as i currently cant boot into the main system (due to my major issue)

2nd Small Issue - Incorrect Kernel Name in grub.conf

I can work around this for now, i put the kernel name in grub.conf as "kernel-2.6.34-r8". It should be "kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r8". How can i update the grub.conf to ensure it boots without intervention?

Yet again, i would have to use the livecd, as the major issue does not allow me to boot into my enviroment.

Finally, Major Issue.

When it tries to load my gentoo installation from the hard drive, it produces the following error:

"ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/root is mounted
    fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/root
    /dev/root:
    The superblock could not be read or does not descirbe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem ( and not swap of ufs or something selse_, then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 (device)

*filesystem couldnt be fixed [!!]
    give root password for maintenence
    of typer control-d to continue"

I followed the gentoo handbook as much as i could, and my fdisk (in live CD) shows the following:
    /dev/sda1 - [bootable] - (32M) ext2
    /dev/sda2 - [ BLANK ] - (512M) Solaris/Swap
    /dev/sda3 - [ BLANK ] - (29GB) ext3
    /dev/sda4 - [bootable] - (29GB) HPFS/NTFS

I actually remember defining my swap parition as a file system lol, is that needed?

Im not very clever when it comes to using the livecd to do things, so if anyone responds to help me, can they post what i sort of need to do?

Many Thanks!

Your major problem comes from fstab I believe, and possibly grub.

It looks to me like it is trying to boot from "/dev/root" instead of "/dev/sda3" like it should be, which means you either didn't change it in the fstab, or you have something wrong with your kernel line in grub.conf.

To change the kernel name in grub, just change the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to reflect the correct kernel. You can do this from the livecd. I suggest you booting an ubuntu livecd though, as it will have more gui tools that you will be familiar with. You can do anything from the ubuntu livecd that you can do from the gentoo livecd. You could also use SystemRescueCD.

For syslog-ng, you can just add "cairo" to your use flags in make.conf. A lot of packages are going to need it, so might as well put it there. Of course, you can always make the /etc/portage directory and put the package.use file in it.

Gentoo is very flexible, and doesn't hold your hand at all, but if you stick with it, it will teach you a lot.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    I am perpetual beginner . But i think I had similar error. I believe it was caused by failing to check yes on . Second extended fs support. aka ext2, I believe. I would put more confidence on Gruven, than myself Frank I am 65, with 2 remaining viable neurons.