Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to follow the linx x86 gentoo manual., on step 3.8 Compiling the Kernel. It says to rename the kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-rw" with the name and version of your kernel. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Need help with step 3.8 renaming kernel

I am trying to follow the linx x86 gentoo manual., on step 3.8 Compiling the Kernel. It says to rename the kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-rw" with the name and version of your kernel. I think I successfully completed make $$ modules_install. The last line reads: DEPMOD 2.6.36-gentoo-r8. I think that is my revised or updated kernel. I am on chroot and I uname -r and I get 2.6.31-gentoo-r6. I think that is the present kernel still running. I tried cp arch/i386/boot/newkernel /boot/kernel-2.6.6.36-gentoo-r8 but get cp: cannot stat 'arch/i386/boot/newkernel' no such file or directory. Anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

Code:
    cp /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r8
    You won't use the new kernel in the chroot, but you will use it when you reboot into your new system.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    Code:
    cp /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r8
    You won't use the new kernel in the chroot, but you will use it when you reboot into your new system.
    tried cp arch/i386/boot/newkernel /boot/kernel-2.6.6.36-gentoo-r8 but get cp: cannot stat 'arch/i386/boot/newkernel' no such file or directory. Anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

Before you replied I experimented with:

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r8-frankskernel. On reboot screen, frankskernel boots up. Now I don't know if I misunderstood gentoo instructions that the kernel should be renamed, at that step. I also don't know if this will cause problems, the way, I did it. It may be the main mistake I was making was trying to replace "bzimage" with a name.
    Subsequent edit. I again tried repeating what i did before, and found only your method works. I don't know why the gentoo manual suggestions works on the first time, but not the second. But one question remains, what is the purpose of this step?

Gruven, thanks for the quick reply. I will try to follow some of the help links, I found while web searching. Frank
    Last edited by frank56; 04-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The purpose of this step is to copy the compiled kernel to the /boot folder so that grub can read it and boot from it.

You could have called it anything, but it is nice to call it something you can identify it with.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    The purpose of this step is to copy the compiled kernel to the /boot folder so that grub can read it and boot from it.

You could have called it anything, but it is nice to call it something you can identify it with.
    Thanks Gruven. I hope others don't make some of the mistakes I have made. I am surprised, I can still boot from hard drive. One, I did not know I should not run make menuconfig as root. I have not done any steps to save my running configuration. I have not run make clean at any of the steps. Comparing the steps in Gentoo, under FAQ and the Kernel config for Beginners, It looks like I have skipped more steps.

The steps I repeated many times, were.

1. Make changes after typing make menuconfig as root, .(first mistake, should have been normal user, if I understand that right.

2. Not saving my working configuration.

3. Not sure, If I was suppose to make sure I was in the boot directory.

4. Not running make clean,

after running make && make modules_install, I would do the cp arch/i386/boot step we were talking about here. I thought that was all there was to it. I hope others dont repeat my mistakes.