Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally finished my Gentoo install, and got it booted [after many, many hours of mistakes]. Well, I don't have internet in the install. I do have it on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Netmount error

I finally finished my Gentoo install, and got it booted [after many, many hours of mistakes]. Well, I don't have internet in the install. I do have it on the LiveCD. So, what happens, is it says it cannot load "netmount." Unfortunatly, I cannot figure out what's up with it. It loads by default, and is configured in rc-update blah blah blah.

These two threads have helped somewhat, but nothing fixes the problem.

http://linuxforums.org/forum/topic-25604-0-asc-0.html
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=102491

Somebody PLEASE shed some light on this!!

-justin

Have you tried to see if you can do it via the
    Code:
    net-setup eth0
    option?

Cos that's how I usually have to do it. For info, mine is a (apparently, because it never seems to change) dynamic IP, connected via a pci NIC to router/modem device.

Maybe that helps a little ??

regards

John

Just Joined!
    As soon as GDM finishes I will try it, however it works on the LiveCd, and it is configured correctly in the /etc/conf.d/net file.. so I don't know what net-setup will do. But, I of course will try it.. but I should run it off the hdd? Not off the LiveCd, correct?

Also, I have DHCP.. so I don't need to setup dynamic IP's and whatnot. All automatic .

-justin

Just Joined!
    what happens when you
    Code:
     /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
    if it says no such device, then you need to make sure the net driver is loaded into the running kernel. if you compiled it manually, make sure it was compiled in, or if you used genkernel, you need to find the module name and modprobe it

BTW: i think only the livecd has net-setup

Well, I've always done net-setup when it tells you in the handbook.

Also made sure that I modify the various files etc as prompted.

Which has meant that the only thing that I then to loose when chrooted to the new install is links i.e. you have to make sure you know how to get to the documentation if you haven't already got the hand book printed off.

I also don't bother with mirrorselect either. It worked fine, but after I'd installed and got all the binary packages that I thought I'd need from the 2nd disc, I did the emerge sync and emerge --update --deep world, and it appeared that mirror select had picked rather obscure mirrors that either didn't have the packages that I needed or just wouldn't let my system connect.

So I deleted the mirrorselect in the ???? oh I forget, it was either in the make.conf or the rc.conf - it mentions it in the docs!

Maybe that helps a little?

regards

John

p.s. Oh and just for info, I'm pretty sure that net-setup asks you if you use dhcp etc etc, though it's easy for me, because my system plugs away to a modem/router and the connectin is managed by that, so I only have to apply the LAN settings.

Just Joined!
    Whoops, completely forgot about this post!

Coldplug fixed it. You just have to make sure you rc-update add coldplug default.

-justin

coldplug ? WTF is that? don't worry, I'll have a google for it!

regards

John

Just Joined!
    coldplug relieves some of hotplugs (now former) duties. If you upgrade Gentoo you'll have to emerge coldplug and rc-update add coldplug default. I'm not sure the manual covers that yet. As of 2004.3 I hope they've fixed it...