Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried google it, but there were so many different downloads for so many different things that I didn't know which one to get. I tried doing some research, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help a newb find a download?

I tried google it, but there were so many different downloads for so many different things that I didn't know which one to get. I tried doing some research, but I was overwhelmed with how much there was, so it'd be great if someone could help point me in the right direction.

P.S. I plan on running this on a virtual computer, and I heard that's going to be a lot harder than installing it on a regular computer. Can anybody explain why?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterDood View Post
    it'd be great if someone could help point me in the right direction.
    You'll need to reveal your cpu architecture before anyone can tell you which Gentoo download you would need. Otherwise, the Gentoo Handbook gives some info about which to download:

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Handbook

More on CPUs here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/har...a64-em64t.html
    oz

P.S. I plan on running this on a virtual computer, and I heard that's going to be a lot harder than installing it on a regular computer. Can anybody explain why?
    You might not know this but Gentoo and several other distros are basically "Build it yourself" distros. While most other distros are already built for you, Gentoo is not. Compiling Gentoo takes a long time on all but the fastest computers and you want as much CPU/Memory to be available to compile your OS. With running a Virtual machine, you already lose a ton of CPU cycles and RAM just by running the Host OS and The VM that will be compiling Gentoo. You're gonna need a boatload of RAM and a lot of time.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @1.60 GHz

According to what I could find, this is my processor, and I'm pretty sure it's i686, which, according to the website ozar linked me to, it part of the X86, correct?
    And I would want to download the stage 3 tarball because it's the least complex or something, right?

I want to make sure before I download it because we have limited bandwidth here. Also, thanks for being so helpful/patient with me.

P.S. I'm going to have a lot of spare time on my hands, so I don't mind if it takes 6 hours to compile something. I'm going to be learning C++/Java while I'm working on installing it as well.

oz
    forum.guy
    That's correct... one of the x86 downloads should work on your machine.
    oz

P.S. I'm going to have a lot of spare time on my hands, so I don't mind if it takes 6 hours to compile something. I'm going to be learning C++/Java while I'm working on installing it as well.

I think It's going to take you more than 6 hours just to get your self a bootable install. That doesn't come with Xorg-server or a Desktop, DANG another 3-4 hour wait.
    Is this a Laptop? If so, see this link too.
    Laptop - Gentoo Linux Wiki
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    it's actually a netbook (emachines e250 series)
    1.67 Ghz dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM, though since I'm installing it on a virtual computer it's going to get half of both of those. Also, I think my graphics card is built-in to my motherboard, so I have no idea what it is...

Anyways, I'm downloading it now and I'm sure I'll hit another wall pretty fast, so I'm bound to return in another thread. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Linux Newbie
    Install crunchbang and be done with it.