Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed the base 2004.2 Gentoo, but when I try to install the packages (the mounting the cd's part) from the second CD I keep getting various problems with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

2004.2 package instal problems due to cdrom

Hi, I installed the base 2004.2 Gentoo, but when I try to install the packages (the mounting the cd's part) from the second CD I keep getting various problems with the cdroms. I find this odd in that I was using the same cdrom and type of cdrs that I used to install to that point. I have even tried three different copies of that disk, and four differnt cdroms (although all were older). I don't suppose this was a bug of some sort in 2004.2 and I should just reinstall everything with 2004.3 is it?

This has been very frustrating because I really would like to try out Gentoo. I suspect it is the linux disto I am looking for, but have been unable to try because of this problem. Lesigh... (fortunately I am rather stubborn)
    Ack!

Just Joined!
    You'll need to post the error msg and maybe some specs for yor system. Otherwise it'll be hard for anyone to help you. I'll assume you don't have a working internet connection since you don't just emerge from a mirror site.

I'd agree with "post error" comment.

My install was also from 2004.2 - though as I'd previously enjoyed using gentoo (and still gone back to mandrake), I didn't mind sending for a pair of original discs from the gentoo organisation - all money that helps a little (well, IMO anyway).

Plus while that doesn't rule out burn errors on your part, it would suggest that there's no bug in 2004.2.

In fact, the biggest pain in the arse will probably be that because 2004.3 is available, it may take a long time for you to get the updates/upgrades.

I installed, then added the binary packages, then did
    Code:
    # emerge sync
    followed by
    Code:
    # emerge -upD world
    and there was quite a lot of updates available, so when I finally did the
    Code:
    # emerge -uD world
    the compiling took the best part of 60 hours (2 and a half days).

Hence, if that's what you'd face you might be better off downloading 2004.3 and doing the updates/upgrades.

Oh and when you do, you might want to consider using 2 terminals, the first one with the "fetch only" argument (I think they're called arguments) and then the second one once your system has downloaded a couple of the packages - then at least it should "emerge" everything a bit quicker!

regards

John[/code]

Linux Newbie

speed

I think Ill wait till January. I am getting highspeed then, and I will do 2004.3 via internet probably. This CD thing is a headache. Maybe Ill update the computer I am going to put it on as well while Im at it.
    Ack!