Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to install Gentoo on my virtual computer, I was following the handbook, and got to the part about adding wireless devices. I ran iwconfig and got the response: Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iwconfig

Trying to install Gentoo on my virtual computer, I was following the handbook, and got to the part about adding wireless devices. I ran iwconfig and got the response:
    Code:
    lo          no wireless extention.

eth0     no wireless extention.
    I checked the handbook and it said nothing, so I'm lost. Also, this is a broadcom wireless card, and from what I've tried, it doesn't run on Ubuntu and works fine on Knoppix (Though it gives some dBus error upon opening Wicd). I did a little searching, and from what I could understand from what I found, I think it might be a driver issue. Just what a newbie like me thinks though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Did you make sure that you enabled support for Broadcom wireless when you configured your kernel? It should be under Device Drivers then Networking and then WLAN or Wireless Networking.

Just Joined!
    I don't think I did. I'm really bad at drivers and anything that's hardware related.
    Anyways, I'll try looking for it. If I can't find it or if there's something else wrong I'll post again.
    Also, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Just Joined!
    I tried modprobe on the drivers, and that didn't fix it. I searched info on enabling broadcom wireless drivers, and it shows me some file that I can't find. Any help?
    Broadcom 43xx - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterDood View Post
    I tried modprobe on the drivers, and that didn't fix it. I searched info on enabling broadcom wireless drivers, and it shows me some file that I can't find. Any help?
    perhaps your Broadcom card isn't supported by the 43 driver.

can you connect to your network via ethernet, temporarily? if not, you will probably have to boot off the live disk again, mount your partitions, proc, bind dev and chroot again. And then

Code:
     emerge sys-apps/pciutils
    which will let you run
    Code:
     lspci | grep Broadcom
    so you can find out what exact model of card you have. I have had issues with networking where all cards of that brand but mine had support "out of the box" (<_<) so there might be something extra that needs done to get yours to work, but you need to find out what the make and model of your Broadcom is first.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDood View Post
    Trying to install Gentoo on my virtual computer
    On a virtual machine, you don't have direct access to the wireless card. You will use the virtual eth0 in the machine.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry