Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a TV that supports 1360x768 resolution. It was not detected in Gentoo. I am currently using Ubuntu, and it detects lots of resolutions including 1360x768. Also, I messed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] HDMI resolution

I have a TV that supports 1360x768 resolution. It was not detected in Gentoo. I am currently using Ubuntu, and it detects lots of resolutions including 1360x768. Also, I messed up some things in Gentoo, so I am reinstalling it.
    Anyways, I used xrandr newmode and addmode, but the TV said that the resolution was invalid. Would anyone please tell me what I need to do to get 1360x768 resolution detected without adding custom modelines? I would use modlines if that is not possible, but I want it to detect the resolution automatically.

Sorry if that sounds silly.

Thank you very much.

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    Are you using a NVIDIA video card and drivers?

If not, what are you using? I believe this information would help a lot.

SunshineFolk

Just Joined!
    My graphics card is:

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    Full lspci output is:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset KT Controller (rev 06)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev 06)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev 06)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series
    0d:00.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e822 (rev 01)
    0d:00.1 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e230 (rev 01)
    0d:00.3 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Device e832 (rev 01)
    ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
    ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
    ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
    ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
    ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
    ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
    Also, I have emerged xf86-video-intel with dri use flag enabled.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, so let me get this correct, you want you ubuntu to detect your resolution or Gentoo?

Hopefully ubuntu cause thats what I'm more familiar with, but anyways...

And so you said it detected 1360x768? But it's not applying it, or what? Do you get it to display, just a weird output/display? And are you using dual monitors, or one? (Cause I would imagine it would be hard to set the settings for another monitor by using a smaller one, then switching back and forth )

Heres some ideas:

-Download the latest drivers for your card from Intel -->Intel Linux Graphics

-Try this link for more help (but read it all before you start doing their solutions since some of the people get bad results and fix them later in the thread. --> [SOLVED] Setting higher resolution for Intel graphics controller in Ubuntu 11.04 [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

Saw this too, so maybe try this after updating drivers if you haven't already.

- Resetting out of range resolution If you set a resolution inappropriate for your monitor in the Screen Resolution GUI tool, you can reset it by running rm ~/.config/monitors.xml from a terminal.

-Testing different resolutions You can either use the Screen Resolution GUI tool to experiment with different resolutions, or the more powerful xrandr command-line tool:
    Code:
    $ xrandr
    shows you the names of different outputs available on your system (LVDS, VGA-0, etc.) and resolutions available on each:
    Code:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1400
    VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    LVDS connected 1400x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 286mm x 214mm
       1400x1050      60.0*+   50.0  
    [...]
    You can direct xrandr to set a different resolution like this:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768
    Code:
    $ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768
    The refresh rate may also be changed, either at the same time or independently:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x768 --rate 75
    Code:
    $ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --rate 60
    Note that changes you make using xrandr only last through the current session. xrandr has a lot more capabilities - see man xrandr for details.

See if any of this helps. I'm just going from what I'm reading on other sites. I have a NVIDIA card and my settings are a lot easier to deal with IMO, since I just go to NVIDA settings, and then fiddle until I get both my screens working (took a few days to get my duals up and running, but everything is GREAT now.)

SunshineFolk

Obviously replace your desired settings in the xrandr command tho forgot to tell you, but I'm sure you would realize that

SunshineFolk

Just Joined!
    Let me clear some things up.

- I am using Gentoo now.
    - I want to connect my laptop to my tv. so, dual monitor.
    - Ubuntu detects and applies my monitor resolution (1360x76.
    - xrandr in Gentoo does not list 1360x768.
    - I calculated modline by cvt and added it to xrandr. When I applied that to my TV, it said something like the resolution is not supported.

I have already tried the xrandr method, but I think I messed up somewhere and got modlines wrong.

I am going to try people posted in that Ubuntuforum thread.

Thank you for your help.

OK, so you tried the cvt way? Did you follow all the directions? I'd assume you did, but there is a lot more to it then just cvt.

Heres a detailed one ---> How change display resolution settings using xrandr

Just throwing that out there... That should make Gentoo's xrandr list your setting that you add to it (e.g. 1360x768 ). Sorry if you tried all that!!

Anyway, have you tried "grandr" in the Ubuntu Software Center? Just type in grandr, but it's called "Multiple Screens" as a title (does gentoo have a software center? I know nothing about this so called "gentoo" ). It adds a little extra to your "xrandr". May help, IDK though.

Or "ArandR"? These are just different programs to maybe help with the problem, instead of going in and configure your xorg.conf. If I had the choice, I'd definately rather not .

Try all this sh*t man, and if it don't work hit me back up and I'll see what I can do to try and help some more, or maybe someone else will post a quick fix, and help us both out. It's just hard to fix things like this when I'm not the one fiddling with it using trial-and-error myself, then moving onto something else...

but check this out too,
    X.Org/Dual Monitors/Intel <---may be your ANSWER since it's specifically based around you Intel driver. Maybe try this before you go in and start messing around with the .conf .

It seems the intel driver cannot handle a Virtual section larger than 2048 per 2048. This means that if you want to set a 1440x900 screen aside a 1280x800 screen, it will fail.
    ^^ That may be your problem. So read that solution.

P.S. Hope something here works for you!!!

SunshineFolk

It seems the intel driver cannot handle a Virtual section larger than 2048 per 2048. This means that if you want to set a 1440x900 screen aside a 1280x800 screen, it will fail.
    So If I'm assuming correct, with your extra screen being 1360x768, this means your laptop screen has to be no bigger than 688x1280, or vice-versa however you wanna look at it. This is why you are getting the error, cause your driver or card is only compatible with 2048x2048 max resolution. Guessing the X or the Y of that resolution is exceeding the limits.

There is a work around though I think I read. Just try that link above and let me know how it goes!!

Heres a thread with a lot of questions and answers with intel card, so if you wanna read a WHOLE lot check it out haha --> LOT OF READING

SunshineFolk

Just Joined!
    I copied the modeline from /var/log/Xorg.conf in Ubuntu. I will try it in Gentoo soon. I am almost certain that it will work.

By the way, Gentoo has package manager but it does not have something like software center. I don't know of any GUI package manager. Command line is easy and neat enough.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. I will mark this thread as solved if I don't need further help.