Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zacariaz
Hello everyone! As my first post, I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding running Gentoo on an Asus Eee PC 1015PEM Hardware of interest: CPU: Dual Core Intel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Gentoo on Asus Eee PC 1015PEM

Hello everyone!

As my first post, I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding running Gentoo on an Asus Eee PC 1015PEM

Hardware of interest:
    CPU: Dual Core Intel atom N550 (at) 1.5 GHz
    RAM: 2 Gb of DDR3 (at) 800 MHz
    HDD: 300 Gb - Plans for future SSD
    And a whole lot more which isn't really interesting.

I'm currently running Debian, which was my backup plan, should I fail in regards to Gentoo, which I did, but more on that in another Thread.

First I did a standard install, which worked perfectly, and I do mean perfectly. Only thing I didn't check was USB tethering with my HTC Legend, which works with Ubuntu, but that is of little importance at this point.

Next I did a fresh install, without GUI. I then installed fluxbox and xserver to the best of my abilities, and all things considered, it works quite well.

But now to the point.

1. As I plan to install an SSD, as soon as I can afford it (recommendations on SSDs are more than welcome BTW), I'd very much like to know if I should be concerned with regards to which file system I use.
    2. Also in regards to the SSD, sort of, I'd very much like to know if it would be OK to drop the swap with "only" 2 Gb of RAM. I initially though I'd be able to install 4 Gb of RAM, so I wasn't too concerned, but now I'm not so sure.
    3. In your opinion, what would be the perfect minimalistic setup, still including a GUI?
    4. If you know of a desktop environments in the same weight class as fluxbox, that you can recommend, please enlighten me. I like fluxbox very much, but it is quite a bother getting things to work perfectly.

I think that is all, so thanks in advance and see you around.

Best regards.

Edit:
    Honestly... Parsing the at sign as an e-mail? Took me forever to actually post this...

Edit 2:
    5. I noticed that Debian no longer uses a boot partition, and I never really got the point with it in the first place. So while the Gentoo Handbook still recommends it, is there really any good reason to not just use one big partition?

NB.
    I do understand the benefits of a separate home partition and such, this only concerns the boot partition.

I know it was a blast! A while back, I installed CRUX on an EEE.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

2. Also in regards to the SSD, sort of, I'd very much like to know if it would be OK to drop the swap with "only" 2 Gb of RAM.
    On my EEEPC 900 with 2 gig of ram and 701SD with 1 gig of ram. Both are SSD. I run quite well with no /swap in my AntiX installs.
    My SSD`s are the cheap phisons that came with the units. They don`t like journaling file systems (wears them out prematurely) , so my installs are ext2 file system. Your SSD will probably be better than what I have though. So just google I guess what Linux file systems are OK for the drive you buy.

As far as Desktops. I run Fluxbox and Icewm on Mine. On external SD card installs. I play with E17 and Lx Netbook Launcher (Puppy linux versions).
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I know it was a blast! A while back, I installed URL.
    I honestly don't know what crux is, but I'll make sure to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    On my EEEPC 900 with 2 gig of ram and 701SD with 1 gig of ram. Both are SSD. I run quite well with no /swap in my AntiX installs.
    My SSD`s are the cheap phisons that came with the units. They don`t like journaling file systems (wears them out prematurely) , so my installs are ext2 file system. Your SSD will probably be better than what I have though. So just google I guess what Linux file systems are OK for the drive you buy.

As far as Desktops. I run Fluxbox and Icewm on Mine. On external SD card installs. I play with E17 and Lx Netbook Launcher (Puppy linux versions).
    Thanks for reminding me about journaling, it really isn't needed on a proper SSD. I do believe that you can usually turn it off though, sp no need to go ext2

edit:
    And that url is a fracking quote! Fix the system!

And that url is a fracking quote! Fix the system!
    It's just an anti-spam feature of the forum software. You'll be able to post links after you get 15 posts.
    Just FYI, though... CRUX is a build-it-yourself distro. Blazing fast once you get it running! And easy on resources, too!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Don't think CRUX is anything for me though. There's really only two/three other ways to go than Gentoo and that Debian or possible Gnewsense, when the finally reach V3.0, or an LFS distribution, which I really think goes beyond my abilities.

So thanks for the suggestion, but I thin I'll stick with the plan.

Anyway, I think I got question 1. sorted, but I'd still like some more comments on the rest, especially the swap part. Possibly suggestions about where to read about the problem, as I've been unable to find much on the subject.

Oh ya, one last thing, is there any alternative to the official Gentoo Handbook? I've failed two times in a row now, following it to the letter. Well, more or less to the letter, but those mistakes I might have made, can't be related to the problems I've experienced. All in all I think it could be done a lot better.

Zacariaz, I've run both Gentoo and CRUX and the only difference in my opinion is that CRUX is simpler and easier. Both are source based. You've obviously done your homework though so go with what you feel is best. We are all lucky to have the many choices we have in distros.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Well, I kinda like the Gentoo logo, so I guess that settles it
    MikeTbob likes this.

Just Joined!
    if your still having trouble with regular flavor gentoo than i would like to suggest sabayon Sabayon Linux, the Users' Operating System its a gentoo based distro that i have never had issues with installing on any system that include old 90's such as asus a8n-sli amd athlon cpu etc hardware to the new fancy hardware such as xfx 750sli dont rember what processor just know its an intel dual core most likely the i5. its relatively easy and relatively fast. gentoo wiki http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyscript View Post
    if your still having trouble with regular flavor gentoo than i would like to suggest sabayon [CANT POST URLS! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT DAMMIT. IT'S A QUOTE! HOW DAMN HARD CAN IT BE?!?] its a gentoo based distro that i have never had issues with installing on any system that include old 90's such as asus a8n-sli amd athlon cpu etc hardware to the new fancy hardware such as xfx 750sli dont rember what processor just know its an intel dual core most likely the i5. its relatively easy and relatively fast. gentoo wiki [CANT POST URLS! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT DAMMIT. IT'S A QUOTE! HOW DAMN HARD CAN IT BE?!?]
    Thanks for the suggetion, however I'm having trouble creating a bootable USB. well, either that or something is screwed up in a way I've never seen before.

From windows (Not that I'm a windows guy, but in this case it's more practical) using universal usb installer, I created a sabayon 6 lxde amd64 usb stick. It boot's up fine with the menu and all, but when choosing to to boot in any way, it start complaining that it can't mount any bootable device, or something like that. To me it makes no sense at all.

Anyway, if you've got any suggestions as to how to go from her, I'm listening.

Thanks for now.