Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, when I type ifconfig, the only interface that comes is lo, which I assume is my 1394 connection. So that means that I have to manually load a kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network install

Ok, when I type ifconfig, the only interface that comes is lo, which I assume is my 1394 connection. So that means that I have to manually load a kernel module, right?

I have an Asus A8V mainboard, with the Marvel Yukon Gigabit LAN. I've tried loading every module, and I can't get it to go. Can someone please tell me which module works for that LAN?

My setup is a broad band connection that plugs through a modem/router device.

Then I just had to do net-setup eth0 during the install, and made sure that I follow the instructions to start the eth0 at boot.

As for lo, that's either localhost or loop I can never remember.

The module your lan set up uses would be different to mine. My NIC card uses the natsemi module, but that's detected during install anyway.

regards

John

p.s. As I'm a "non-techie" type I only tend to be able to do stuff after I've had a full and concise explaination, I haven't worked out about compiling this or mounting that etc etc so I just followed the instructions http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml. I downloaded and printed most of the ones I'd need with windows then did the install - and yes, they may not be as clear as day, but they are amongst the better documentation that i've come across.

Just Joined!
    That's my problem. eth0 doesn't exist on my PC, so I assume that it's not being recognized. I was just wondering if anyone knew which module would work for that LAN.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    so how is the LAN connected?

Because mine is via an ethernet NIC to the hub which is inturn, connected to the modem/router.

It's not via some ****** USB device is it? Because when I first had broadband I only had a usb modem. That didn't use eth) either that was done via ptpp (point to point protocol) If my memory serves me correctly?

But it still showed up with "ifconfig". Though all the garbage that I had to mod' to make the bugger work was one of the reasons that I got shot of it and changed to ethernet NIC and modem/router device!

Maybe that helps a little???

regards

John

<edit> perhaps you need to establish what chipset your NIC has - If you have one, because mine uses the "natsemi" module (national semiconductors). It's a netgear card </edit>

Code:
    modprobe sk98lin
    net-setup eth0
    That will load the approriate module for your NIC as well as start the gentoo LiveCD curses-based net setup program. Remember when compiling your kernel later in the install that you need to compile this driver either as a module or into your kernel. It's found under:

Code:
    Device Drivers->Networking Support->Ethernet &#40;1000Mbit&#41;
    in a make menuconfig.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy