Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I' just installed Vidalinux its gentoo based. I couldn't do Gentoo (pure) too complex to install (guess i'm not a geek) . but vida went fine, so I'm here to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VidaLinux Desktop OS

I' just installed Vidalinux its gentoo based. I couldn't do Gentoo (pure) too complex to install (guess i'm not a geek) . but vida went fine, so I'm here to see anyone uses it and to learn more about gentoo (newbie)

Just Joined!

Köttet rinner i oändliga floder.

The whole point of Gentoo is performance and options. I was a n00b (only tried Mandrake for two weeks before installing Gentoo) too before trying Gentoo. Just print the installation guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml and follow it step by step and I doubt it it'll fail, hell I made it through. It's a great way to learn how to operate in a linux environment that allows you to do whatever you want. If you just want another Windows then I'd go for Ubuntu or Xandros.

If the installation procedure still is way too steep for you, then maybe Debian is more suited for your needs.

Unless you've been playing around with linux for a while you'll be in for a steep learning curve. I found that it was worth it, the time between me crashing my system is getting greater and greater

Re: Köttet rinner i oändliga floder.

Quote Originally Posted by maol9883
    The whole point of Gentoo is performance and options. I was a n00b (only tried Mandrake for two weeks before installing Gentoo) too before trying Gentoo. Just print the installation guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml and follow it step by step and I doubt it it'll fail, hell I made it through. It's a great way to learn how to operate in a linux environment that allows you to do whatever you want. If you just want another Windows then I'd go for Ubuntu or Xandros.

If the installation procedure still is way too steep for you, then maybe Debian is more suited for your needs.

Unless you've been playing around with linux for a while you'll be in for a steep learning curve. I found that it was worth it, the time between me crashing my system is getting greater and greater
    Thanks, I dont know I might try it again. my pc doesnt have enough power to be spending 1-2days installing 1 OS. Celeron 635mhz 256mb sdram 20gb DSL connection. Now soon when I get a XPC computer & a better laptop I'm use my current laptop Amd Athlon XP-M 2800+ 768mb ddr 30gb for linux too.

I wonder is it really worth it, waiting so much just to install xchat . You have to wait so long to install anything,

Re: Köttet rinner i oändliga floder.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple5
    I wonder is it really worth it, waiting so much just to install xchat . You have to wait so long to install anything,
    To put it simply: it is. The power and control you get from gentoo is awesome. The speed is just icing on the cake.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I have to admit some things take a LOT of time to install. Firefox takes around 35 min, Open Office takes 5 hours and I've heard that KDE can take like 48 hours!!! But I guess the latter is on a slow machine. You have to remember that you only need to install it once. I you screw your system it's always repairable. The forum at gentoo.org have more users so if you want an answer fast that's a better place to post a question, but they're generally fed up with n00b questions (trust me ) so those might be better posted here. One more thing. If you plan to emerge a lot of big packages then do so before going to bed.

Code:
    # emerge x11-xorg mozilla-firefox openoffice mozilla-thunderbird nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx kde
    Type that and go to bed and if your system is fast, hopefully it'll be done when you wake up. Since you compile it on your own system it'll be optimized for it. If you've got a fast system you won't notice that much compared to Debian, but if you run on an old system you probably will.

*edit*

OK, emerging kde and expecting it to be done along with the others is a little bit optimistic.

I have to admit some things take a LOT of time to install. Firefox takes around 35 min, Open Office takes 5 hours and I've heard that KDE can take like 48 hours!!! But I guess the latter is on a slow machine. You have to remember that you only need to install it once. I you screw your system it's always repairable. The forum at gentoo.org have more users so if you want an answer fast that's a better place to post a question, but they're generally fed up with n00b questions (trust me ) so those might be better posted here. One more thing. If you plan to emerge a lot of big packages then do so before going to bed.

Code:
    # emerge x11-xorg mozilla-firefox openoffice mozilla-thunderbird nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx kde
    Type that and go to bed and if your system is fast, hopefully it'll be done when you wake up. Since you compile it on your own system it'll be optimized for it. If you've got a fast system you won't notice that much compared to Debian, but if you run on an old system you probably will.

*edit*

OK, emerging kde and expecting it to be done along with the others is a little bit optimistic.
    I agree... I'm actually installing SourceMage now. Will wait a few weeks to use VidaLinux again..

I was using it today, and I emerge fluxbox took about less than 30mns, emerge icewm took about an hour, and emerge xchat about 10minutes
    cant really remember since that compiling gave me time to do other things.

Just Joined!
    I like Gentoo. It gives me control. I like being able to not install stuff I know I don't need like support for kde, qt and arts. I'm not sure how much space I save my setting the USE flag to remove those, but at least I can

I like Gentoo. It gives me control. I like being able to not install stuff I know I don't need like support for kde, qt and arts. I'm not sure how much space I save my setting the USE flag to remove those, but at least I can
    True. But I dont have that time or need for Gentoo. Gentoo based is fine

I agree... I'm actually installing SourceMage now. Will wait a few weeks to use VidaLinux again..

I was using it today, and I emerge fluxbox took about less than 30mns, emerge icewm took about an hour, and emerge xchat about 10minutes
    I'm not sure how the other two work, but you can use gentoolkit's command genlop to get your merge times. Just emerge gentoolkit and then 'genlop -i fluxbox'. There are many other switches that you can see with 'genlop -h'.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont

I'm not sure how the other two work, but you can use gentoolkit's command genlop to get your merge times. Just emerge gentoolkit and then 'genlop -i fluxbox'. There are many other switches that you can see with 'genlop -h'.
    So you're saying if you do that time thing it'll tell you how long it will take?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast