Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to download the Gentoo 2004.3 isos. What is the difference between the packages-x86-2004.3-r1.iso & packages-x86-2004.3.iso . Which is the more latest one. I am little confused by that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Query regarding version of Gentoo.

I want to download the Gentoo 2004.3 isos.

What is the difference between the packages-x86-2004.3-r1.iso & packages-x86-2004.3.iso. Which is the more latest one. I am little confused by that r1 thing.

Linux Engineer
    If i'm not mistaken, r-1 would stand for revision 1
    I can also see that R-1 came around the 24th of november and 12th of november for the non r-1...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

hmm.. I've heard there was some issues with the 2004.3 ISOs, maybe the re-release is an fix/update? (not sure what the problem was with the ISO, myself I've uppgraded the 2004.2 to 2004.3 profile - so I have no first hand experience with the .3 ISOs)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

packages CD for 2004.3

Yes, I believe there is a problem with the original packages-x86-2004.3.iso file. I have this ISO burned onto a CD and recently tried installing some packages with it. I did a stage3/GRP (networkless) install and then attempted to 'emerge --usepkg kde' as the handbook suggests. emerge proceeded to install up to about 32 of 80 packages from the CD, then started trying to contact the mirrors for some additional packages. These packages should all be on the CD shouldn't they?

Actually, I also had a similar problem when trying to emerge hotplug off of the LiveCD for 2004.3.

where is zdawg when you need him? he had the 2004.3 iso and gcc was all borked up i beleive...not fun
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

i tried to use the 2004.3 iso's as a rescue CD, my system was pretty borked, so that was alot of it, but I was having strange issues with the gcc binary on the ISO.... but the whole system was so far gone, i really can't point a finger at the disk.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333