Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I know it sounds too familiar for many of you. But allow me to explain my self: I googled around and read the following very carefully. But all these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question ALSA: properly setup for onboard & USB audio devices

Hi,
    I know it sounds too familiar for many of you. But allow me to explain my self:
    I googled around and read the following very carefully. But all these guide does not help me resolve my problem.
    dmix - ALSA wiki
    .asoundrc - ALSA wiki
    Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide
    Multiple discussion on Arch Linux.

All I want to do is: (1)Make USB DAC default output, (2)Make dmix works for default device.

I tried suggestion in .asoundrc, the USB DAC became the default output ... for 1 stream only. The USB DAC is blocked when it's playing, and 2nd file played will go to onboard device. That's definitely NOT what I want. ( Didn't ALSA wiki promise me that dmix will work as default? lol )

I tried dmix guide suggestion. But I try very hard. I just could NOT make dmix to fall back to onboard device if USB DAC is not connected.

May somebody shed some light into this helpless lamb? Please.

Hi, I am Debian - but I have insight regarding ALSA. Did you run "alsactl init", accept the defaults and reboot system after.

I also continued to have insufficiencies which were rectified by installing "esound"; "esound-clients", and "alsamixergui". (all package names).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Hi, I am Debian - but I have insight regarding ALSA. Did you run "alsactl init", accept the defaults and reboot system after.

I also continued to have insufficiencies which were rectified by installing "esound"; "esound-clients", and "alsamixergui". (all package names).
    Thanks for replying.

Shall I run #alsactl with my USBDAC connected or not?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "alsactl init" is to properly initialize your specific system sound driver within Linux. This would be phase one. After that, "esound", and "alsamixergui" is what I used to correct remaining deficiencies.

Again, this is basic stuff. I always work from the bottom-up. Some people seem to try to work from the top-down. Once you have the basic sound installed properly, then you should sort out the rest. "alsamixergui" has sound levels, by device - which can be enabled or disabled.

Just Joined!

[Solved]

Hi,
    This is solved after I read over and over and fiddled with mplayer for a long while. I'm replying for "Who happened to look for answer here."
    It turns out that I have to work around between 2 alsa device co-existing at the same time. Better not go windy by removing another device when my USB DAC plugged in.
    So here is my way:

in .asoundrc

Code:
    pcm.!default{
            type plug
            slave.pcm "usbdac_dmix"
    }

pcm.usbdac {
               type hw # USB DAC device
               card 2     # check these value by "aplay -l" output!! something like "card 2: Device [USB PnP Sound Device], device 0"
               device 0  # check these value by "aplay -l" output!!
    }
    pcm.onboard {
                type hw
                card 0     # check these value by "aplay -l" output!! card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
                device 0  # check these value by "aplay -l" output!!
    }
    pcm.usbdac_dmix {
                    type dmix
                    ipc_key 1026 # must be unique!
                    slave {
                            pcm "usbdac"  
     ## all following in this dmix section should be set according to your hardware. If you're not sure, don't try to add them!
                            period_time 0
                            period_size 1024
                            buffer_size 8192
                            rate 48000  # Fireye 2 support up to 48000Hz, please refer to your hardware spec.
                          }
    }
    pcm.onboard_dmix {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1025 # must be unique!
    slave {
            pcm "onboard"
     ## all following in this dmix section should be set according to your hardware. If you're not sure, don't try to add them!
            period_time 0
            period_size 1024
            buffer_size 8192
            rate 44100
          }
    }
    This will make 2 dmix output for each devices. Fortunately, mplayer support some advance argument to alsa control.

Here is my "-ao" argument of mplayer:
    Code:
    alsa:device=plug=usbdac_dmix,alsa:device=plug=onboard_dmix
    you can put them into a line of ~/.mplayer/config like
    Code:
    ao=alsa:device=plug=usbdac_dmix,alsa:device=plug=onboard_dmix
    It now can play by USBDAC by default, and fallback to onboard if it's not available & with dmix working for both.

Finally, you can tune all the apps to use mplayer to output. (for kde user, try phonon-mplayer)Then the problem is solved.