Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, this is my first post on here but if I ever manage to get Gentoo to work I'm sure it'll be the first of many. I'll try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 15

Hello guys,

this is my first post on here but if I ever manage to get Gentoo to work I'm sure it'll be the first of many. I'll try to keep this as short as possible but I also want to give you as much info as possible so to help you diagnose my issue.

ok so first off I found this thread on here:

on this site (annoyingly cant post links so enter linuxforums url lol) forum/gentoo-linux/116235-grub-error-after-installing-gentoo-minimal.html

this is essentially the exact same problem that I am having but towards the bottom of this post there seems to be no real solution given.

the output that I am recieving is this:
    Code:
    boot (or possibly root) (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernal /boot/kernal-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda1

Error 15: file not found
    after reading the supplied thread I followed the steps but instead I have mounted both sda3(my main file system partition) in /mnt/gentoo and also sda1(my boot partition) in /mnt/gentoo/boot.

the output of the
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    is:
    Code:
    Device  Boot      Start          End          Blocks     Id  System
    /dev/sda1 *       2048          80323       39138     83   Linux
    /dev/sda2         80324      1124548       522112+ 82   Swap
    /dev/sda3         1124548   156248189    77561820+ 82  Linux
    as for the cat etc/fstab:

Code:
    /dev/sda1      /boot         ext2         defaults,noatime    1 2
    /dev/sda2      none          swap        sw                     0 0
    /dev/sda3      /               ext3         noatime              0 1

(copied from instalation handbook)

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   auto      noauto,user              0 0

proc            /proc             proc      defaults                  0 0  shm            /dev/shm        tmpfs    nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
    now I can say this, the name of my kernal is correct and I have tried changing the grub.conf files root=/ statement from /dev/sda3 to sda1 (hence why it is showing the sda1 at the moment). to access this file (grub.conf) from the live cd I have the working directory of /mnt/gentoo/boot/grub.

As a final word (I promise) I have also checked here:

(annoyingly can't post links yet) gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

but the solution says to check the root and setup lines I have used are correct, unfortunately I am unsure as to what this means and so cannot rule that out.

Thanks for any help in advance

Linux Guru
    Did you type in the error message in your post? I would assume so as kernel is spelled incorrectly, no A in kernel. Otherwise, you have checked and the correct exact kernel name in the /boot directory is in your grub.conf? If so, the standard method of installing Grub Legacy to the first partition and mbr is this:

Boot the Live CD, open a terminal, login as root and type grub at the prompt to see (grub>) Then enter the following lines, hit the enter key after each:

root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit
    The above will install Grub to the master boot record pointing to sda1 which should be your boot directory with the kernel. The kernel is in the /boot directory on sda1, you checked?

Just Joined!
    I'm away from my machine at the minute but will check as soon as I return later today, just to clarify so I can complete these steps, what do you mean by log in as root? also the bad spelling of kernel is just my rushed typing and not a reflection of what is held on the system
    Last edited by boz_eyed_cyclops; 10-11-2011 at 04:53 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok so I presume this is what you mean but I may be wrong. From the livecd / i have typed:

Code:
    chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
    I have then entered grub and been given the grub> promt.
    when I type
    Code:
    root(hd0,0)
    I'm told

Code:
    error 27 unknown command.
    If I type
    Code:
    root
    on it's own, the system reports:
    Code:
    (fd0): filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x0
    any ideas?

Linux Guru
    any ideas?
    Yes, you don't have a space between root and (hd0,0) which is one reason it would not work.

When you enter setup, you will also need a space after setup and before (hd0) or it won't work.

Just Joined!
    nice one for that, however after exiting the chroot, unmounting and rebooting I'm still getting the same problem. any other suggestions?
    Last edited by boz_eyed_cyclops; 10-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Just Joined!
    I think it's done! thank you very much for your help, turns out there was another mispelling, I really need to work on that! If anybody else has this issue, I'd recommend checking all of the file references in all of the .conf files you can find

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boz_eyed_cyclops View Post
    Hello guys,

this is my first post on here but if I ever manage to get Gentoo to work I'm sure it'll be the first of many. I'll try to keep this as short as possible but I also want to give you as much info as possible so to help you diagnose my issue.

ok so first off I found this thread on here:

on this site (annoyingly cant post links so enter linuxforums url lol) forum/gentoo-linux/116235-grub-error-after-installing-gentoo-minimal.html

this is essentially the exact same problem that I am having but towards the bottom of this post there seems to be no real solution given.

the output that I am recieving is this:
    Code:
    boot (or possibly root) (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernal /boot/kernal-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda1

Error 15: file not found
    after reading the supplied thread I followed the steps but instead I have mounted both sda3(my main file system partition) in /mnt/gentoo and also sda1(my boot partition) in /mnt/gentoo/boot.

the output of the
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    is:
    Code:
    Device  Boot      Start          End          Blocks     Id  System
    /dev/sda1 *       2048          80323       39138     83   Linux
    /dev/sda2         80324      1124548       522112+ 82   Swap
    /dev/sda3         1124548   156248189    77561820+ 82  Linux
    as for the cat etc/fstab:

Code:
    /dev/sda1      /boot         ext2         defaults,noatime    1 2
    /dev/sda2      none          swap        sw                     0 0
    /dev/sda3      /               ext3         noatime              0 1

(copied from instalation handbook)

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   auto      noauto,user              0 0

proc            /proc             proc      defaults                  0 0  shm            /dev/shm        tmpfs    nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
    now I can say this, the name of my kernal is correct and I have tried changing the grub.conf files root=/ statement from /dev/sda3 to sda1 (hence why it is showing the sda1 at the moment). to access this file (grub.conf) from the live cd I have the working directory of /mnt/gentoo/boot/grub.

As a final word (I promise) I have also checked here:

(annoyingly can't post links yet) gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

but the solution says to check the root and setup lines I have used are correct, unfortunately I am unsure as to what this means and so cannot rule that out.

Thanks for any help in advance
    It looks like you have a separate partition for "/boot". If that is the case, the the path on the grub configuration file should not have the "/boot" portion. If you really wish to use the "/boot", then you will need to do the following (assuming "/boot" is mounted):
    Code:
    cd /boot
    ln -s . boot
    so that you have a path "/boot/boot/kernal-2.6.39-gentoo-r3" due to the symbolic link. Also its "kernel" not "kernal".

Just Joined!
    Thanks mate but this was sorted