Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything. I'm trying to install Gentoo on my new laptop but it doesn't pick the network devices ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network - cand find right module

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything. I'm trying to install Gentoo on my new laptop but it doesn't pick the network devices up straight away and i don't know what kernel module it would use so I don't know which module to load or is there any other way around this?

Is there any output you wish to post here so you could hopefully help me get this sorted?

Thanks in advanced

Sam

Hello and Welcome.
    Post the output of this command:
    Code:
    lspci -v
    Or if it's a USB device then try this command instead.
    Code:
    lsusb
    You will probably need usbutils installed for this to work.
    How far have you gotten?
    The easiest way to install Gentoo is to "chroot" into Gentoo from another distro or LiveCD, this way you have Internet access while Gentoo is building. It takes a little longer but it makes life a lot easier.
    If you want to know how to chroot, just ask. You'll need to post the output of this command, so that we know what your disk and partition structure looks like.
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.