Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone managed to switch resolution on their LCD-screen for other resolutions that the optimized one? I'm running Gentoo on my DELL d800 laptop and I can't get any other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with LCD

Has anyone managed to switch resolution on their LCD-screen for other resolutions that the optimized one? I'm running Gentoo on my DELL d800 laptop and I can't get any other screen than 1680x1050. If I try another resolution it'll just draw the screen on that many pixels and fill the rest with black... Normally I don't need to switch resolution, but when playing games and such it might be nice to lower the setting a tad

Perhaps it's a laptop peculiarity? I have a 19in TFT on my desktop that has a native resolution of 1280x1024, and I can play Doom 3 in 1024x768 just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Perhaps it's a laptop peculiarity? I have a 19in TFT on my desktop that has a native resolution of 1280x1024, and I can play Doom 3 in 1024x768 just fine.
    I doubt it, I have no problem running at other resolutions in XP. I think it's X server or nVidia-kernel that doesn't support it yet. I think it's LCD-screens in particular that has this disadvantage. It's problably just a matter of time before it's corrected. When I tried out Mandrake I could run it at 1280x1024 and not 1680x1050. I've e-mailed DELL for my monitor specs and then I'm gonna try
    Code:
    DisplaySize <xsize> <ysize>
    in my xorg display section.