Find the answer to your Linux question:
That is the warning I get in gnome from disk usage analyser. I can't seem to get help from the web searches I do. I only allocated 16 mb for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

"The volume "boot" has only zero bytes remaining warning

That is the warning I get in gnome from disk usage analyser. I can't seem to get help from the web searches I do. I only allocated 16 mb for my boot partition and have 4 boot entries in my boot menu. Ideally I would like to resize my boot partition. I could get by with one less entry in my boot menu. I don't know how to go about moving files from boot.

When your boot partition is full and you need some space on it, then you should uninstall any kernels that you're not using (you should keep, at the very least, the kernel that is currently running). If you want to resize partitions, take a look at a tool called 'parted', which should be in your software repository.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Gparted may be a better solution as its a GUI and easier to follow. Not too sure about Gentoo, but Debian caches any downloaded installs and updates so perhaps you can purge that?

As Roxoff said, removing and old kernels will free space too.

A quick Google search revealed this,

Freeing Up Disk Space - Gentoo Linux Wiki

The "Removing Temporary Files" section onwards

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Thanks Roxoff and Nixblog. I don't know how to go about un installing the kernel. I do have gparted and the latest system rescue disk. When I tried to use gparted it showed 16 mb minimum and maximum. I tried a larger number and it would clear it out. The bar representing sda1 my boot partition does not have any empty space before or after it. My web searching was not successful. I will check your link, Freeing up Disk space today Thanks again. Frank

Just Joined!
    In gparted, assuming you have a sda2 partition, you could move the start of that along a little and provide some space for sda1 to be expanded. This will mean your data will be moved accordingly by gparted so there could be a possibility of data loss if something goes wrong during the process - I've done it several times and had no problems yet. As it needs to move all your data to on the hard drive it may take quite a while to perform - just to warn you!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Roxoff and Nixblog. I succeeded in increasing my overloaded boot sda1 from 16 MB to 116.9 MB. And booted successfully. Just in case there is someone that needs more detail, as I would, I will share the steps I took.

I booted from a recent version of Rescue disk. From its boot screen I chose the 32 bit version matching my 32 bit system. That took me to another screen and I chose the "Console with console 800X600. An earlier choice kept me from viewing the gparted window. At the bottom of this screen I typed wizard, which automatically configures, a simple no frills window environment or window. The Wizard option than takes you to a screen with about 3 or 4 options, I took its recommended option.."xorg-run", (my quotes). Some of these steps there is a long or about 2 minute pause, so you have to wait. Once you have a window console , I typed gparted. I dragged my right most partition, sda3 to the right, after having clicked on resize/move. I repeated that to each partition to the left of sda3. I was then able tp repeat that step to sda1. With a new bigger, sda1,

I still want to learn, how to get delete or move one of the files in sda1. So if anyone has any links or tips, I could use them. But I still need some reading to catch up with. Thanks again.