Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know whether to include or leave out when I do and emerge -av some package, I may see a keyword, such as cdr (-kde). would (-kde) go in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Do USE Keywords in brackets suggested by EMERGE go in MAKE.CONF?

I don't know whether to include or leave out when I do and emerge -av some package, I may see a keyword, such as cdr (-kde). would (-kde) go in my /etc/make.conf or just cdr?

Most packages have pre-set USE flags that is needed by the software you are trying to install. When you do an emerge -pv, you'll notice some use flags are red and some are blue with a - sign. Red USE flags will be used unless you tell it not to, the blue flags with the - sign are optional USE flags that you can enable if you want or need. Here is an example and a link that helps explain it a little more.

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- USE flags
    Code:
    emerge -pv apache

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/apr-1.4.5  USE="static-libs urandom uuid -doc -older-kernels-compatibility" 738 kB
    [ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/apr-util-1.3.12  USE="berkdb gdbm ldap mysql static-libs -doc -freetds -odbc -postgres -sqlite" 594 kB
    [ebuild  N     ] app-admin/apache-tools-2.2.21  USE="ssl" 5,201 kB
    [ebuild  N     ] www-servers/apache-2.2.21-r1  USE="ldap ssl -debug -doc (-selinux) -static -suexec -threads" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias -asis -auth_digest -authn_dbd -cern_meta -charset_lite -dbd -dumpio -ident -imagemap -log_forensic -proxy -proxy_ajp -proxy_balancer -proxy_connect -proxy_ftp -proxy_http -proxy_scgi -reqtimeout -substitute -version" APACHE2_MPMS="-event -itk -peruser -prefork -worker" 63 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 new), Size of downloads: 6,594 kB
    Explaining USE flags is a complicated thing for some people to understand, I have been using Gentoo for several years and just when I thought I had it figured out, they changed things up. Now Gentoo wants us to move away from setting all USE flags in make.conf and switch them over to /etc/portage/package.use instead.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Mike that makes a lot clearer for me. Before I was worried about leaving out one blue flag by mistake.

Linux Newbie
    I think I got it Mike, but you or someone let me know If I am interpreting USE keywords right. I emerged gnome desktop., but I did not include Keywords for the default movie player that comes with gnome, that it probably needs to play. I think I made the same mistake before and had to emerge another movie player, VLC, but with all the right keywords and it played. If I understand you right, than next time before I configure x, or gnome, I should have all the keywords in make.com, that I will need, for playing movies for example. Or for a beginner or novice like myself to include all the keywords or most in the default keyword list.

Also, usually, speaking for someone inexperienced like myself. In makeconf in your example, I would have all the keywords in red. and if I wanted -doc, I would just include it but without the - before it..or doc. In the past, I have been including, every keyword suggested by emerge/portage, including every keyword with a dash. Which can be very tedious. .

I think you are interpreting them right, but you probably don't want to use every USE flag there is. You'll end up pulling in a bunch of stuff you may not need. Here is something to keep in mind, a lot of times when you add/remove USE flags, you also pull in other packages to be installed also, those are called dependencies. Not all use flags are needed and some are built in.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- USE flags
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.