Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've just installed Gentoo Linux, and everything went fine according to the manual, until I reboot with my new kernel. This same problem seemed to be several places in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo dhcp/eth0 problem

I've just installed Gentoo Linux, and everything went fine according to the manual, until I reboot with my new kernel. This same problem seemed to be several places in the forums, but I could not find a solution. When it comes to "Bringing eth0 up via DHCP" it pauses, then just fails (times out I guess). I have used several other distributions, like Mandrake, Debian and Suse, but I have never had this problem. I also have configured some kernels before, so I know what drivers to use

My network card is a VIA VT6102 [RHINE II], (as it says in lspci) and I use the module via_rhine. It has worked on every other distro. I've tried hotplug and coldplug in default and boot runtime. I've even tried genkernel. Nothing helps!
    I think it gets detected, and works, since "ifconfig eth0 up" brings up the interface (without any ip information.)

Any clues?

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem with mine, because I installed my eth0 drivers as a module. When I went back and recompiled the kernel and included them as a kernel driver, everything was fine. Maybe that's just me.

Linux Engineer
    make sure you installed dhcpcd
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    i'm pretty sure I've got dhcpcd, because when I "dhcpcd eth0" i get the same result, 60 seconds then timeout. The same when I "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart"

I will try compiling it as a kernel driver now.

I guess I could just go back to debian, but I really like the gentoo idea of building everything myself

Just Joined!
    I just suddenly works!

I built a new kernel (for about the fifth or sixth time) starting with mrproper, and went through everything very carefully. I compiled the driver for the nic with the kernel instead of as a module, and now it just works.

Strange, because I have already tried that before, I guess it was some other kernel option, not quite sure what.

Thanks for all your help anyway

Just a note: It's usually better to compile stuff like your NIC driver, root FS driver, etc. into the kernel as you will be using it all the time. This makes it a tad quicker and usually prevents problems like this.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Not to mention generally a quicker boot time.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!

Driver vs. Module

Quote Originally Posted by theWall
    I compiled the driver for the nic with the kernel instead of as a module, and now it just works.
    Could someone point me to a good reference (or just explain it to me yourself) for a recently switched Linux user the differences between installing as a driver vs. module and how it's done? Thanks!

Re: Driver vs. Module

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlightning
    Quote Originally Posted by theWall
    I compiled the driver for the nic with the kernel instead of as a module, and now it just works.
    Could someone point me to a good reference (or just explain it to me yourself) for a recently switched Linux user the differences between installing as a driver vs. module and how it's done? Thanks!
    Your terminology is a bit mucked up there. You would be referring to a module vs. 'built-in'. 'Built-in' refers to compiling the driver for a particular piece of hardware (or really pretty much anything that the kernel provides) either into the kernel, which is one file always run at boot.

A module is the same thing, but it is built as a separate file (i.e.-not into the kernel). This allows you to use modprobe to insert and remove it. This is handy for stuff you don't use that often, developing drivers, etc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

Re: Driver vs. Module

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Your terminology is a bit mucked up there. You would be referring to a module vs. 'built-in'.
    Okay, module vs. built in; I'm having a similar problem to what was decribed above:

'ifconfig eth0 up' yieds an 'unknown device' error, but 'dhcpcd' doesn't give any errors, nor does 'dhcpcd eth0'. Is there any solution other than recompiling my kernel (not that it's a tragedy, I'm just trying to get this to work for the first time, but I'd like to troubleshoot rather than reformat and start over)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast