Find the answer to your Linux question:
I could use some tips, like howtos or web links to help connect my Netgear router, to my wireless printer, separated by two walls, in another room. I think using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Want to connect my netgear router to my canon MX 870 Wireless printer

I could use some tips, like howtos or web links to help connect my Netgear router, to my wireless printer, separated by two walls, in another room. I think using the router, would send a stronger signal. My webs searches so far have not helped, but I will keep looking in the mean time. I have kernel 3.0.6, Netgear router, and Broadcom 4306, 14e4:4320 rev.2 wireless card. Not sure what else would be useful to post. I have two computers running, one with Windows XP, which presently communicates well with the printer.

Just Joined!
    It sounds like you are trying to to set up a peer to peer printer share.
    I feel like it would be easier to have the printer "hosted" from your Linux box, having experience with Windows printer shares myself.

You will want to setup a Samba share, this guide will show you how to set that up and how to configure a Windows client to access the share.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Samba3/CUPS HOWTO

If your printer doesn't work with any "out of the box" CUPS drivers have a look here:
    [ubuntu] How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums

If you can, assign the printer a static IP address. Nicer consumer routers let you add static assignments in their DHCP settings.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Bleedingsamurai. Those look like real good links, but it promises to be a real challenge for me. I hope I don't chicken out.