Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have wpa_gui working great from root console but when i try to wpa_gui from regular user I get. "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant" as regular user,. on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

wpa gui works with root but not with regular user gentoo

I have wpa_gui working great from root console but when i try to wpa_gui from regular user I get.

"Could not get status from wpa_supplicant" as regular user,. on the window that pops up. I also get a non funtional icon on the upper right hand corner, with wpa_supplicant menu.

One post suggests I do the following, trying this.

allow frontend (e.g., wpa_cli) to be used by all users in 'wheel' group
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=wheel

Yet another says to put a Zero in place of wheel.. I tried both with no luck. I uninstalled Network Manager, and I have a good wireless internet connection., just by rebooting, without typing wpa_cli in console.

Here is my dmesg | grep wlan0

Code:
    dmesg | grep wlan0
    [   58.809267] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [   61.016147] wlan0: authenticate with 00:14:6c:9c:0d:bc (try 1)
    [   61.017533] wlan0: authenticated
    [   61.019066] wlan0: associate with 00:14:6c:9c:0d:bc (try 1)
    [   61.021277] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:6c:9c:0d:bc (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=182)
    [   61.021282] wlan0: associated
    [   61.021825] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [   71.786010] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    I tried dmesg | grep wpa_supplicant and also wpa_cli but that came back with no results.

Solved, I ran into this link, and only needed to follow the steps at the end from Etal. Which were, to delete from rc-update all net.lo or similar but to add wpa_supplicant and dhcpd instead. For more detail here is the link.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-904370.html
    Last edited by frank56; 01-03-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Solved

Linux Enthusiast
    When you had a zero for the "wheel" it would be the same as putting "root" there. The problem is most likely that your username is not a member of the group "wheel". As root add your username to the wheel group and then log out and then log back in.

The commnd, "id", will show you the groups of which you were a member at the time that you logged in.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    When you had a zero for the "wheel" it would be the same as putting "root" there. The problem is most likely that your username is not a member of the group "wheel". As root add your username to the wheel group and then log out and then log back in.

The commnd, "id", will show you the groups of which you were a member at the time that you logged in.
    Thanks Alf that is a cool command to know..."id" that is, minus the quotations marks I inserted.