Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I had Gentoo installed on a Microsoft Windows Hyper-V virtual machine. The system shutdown properly but the RAID array on the drive it was on failed. We had a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Retrieving Data from VHD File (Virtual Machine Harddrive)

Hello,

I had Gentoo installed on a Microsoft Windows Hyper-V virtual machine. The system shutdown properly but the RAID array on the drive it was on failed. We had a backup that was poorly configured and as such we didnít back up all of the data we needed.

Therefore, after getting the RAID array back to a degraded state I was able to get the VHD files (virtual machine harddrives) off of the RAID array but the tools I would use to mount them do not work as they say the file could be corrupted. I cannot use the Windows-based utilities as they only recognize NTFS formatted partitions and as such I cannot recover any files with those tools.

Does anyone know or have experience with recovering or accessing VHD files in Linux?

The ideal scenario would be if I can somehow mount these drives in a Gentoo or other Linux-based OS which I could then try and recover files with. Even if the files donít mount is there a tool that can scan drives mounted in Linux for recoverable files?

Thank you for your time.

Hmm, if Hyper-V says that the file it wrote is corrupt then there is a chance that this is indeed so.
    Independent on what filesystem is inside.

But what you can try is to use a copy of that vhd with e.g. VirtualBox or Vmware.
    Both are able to read vhds.

For more finegrained control, you could also use one of the virtualbox tools directly:
    Ubuntu Manpage: vdfuse - x86 virtualization solution
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Hmm, if Hyper-V says that the file it wrote is corrupt then there is a chance that this is indeed so.
    Independent on what filesystem is inside.

But what you can try is to use a copy of that vhd with e.g. VirtualBox or Vmware.
    Both are able to read vhds.

For more finegrained control, you could also use one of the virtualbox tools directly:
    Ubuntu Manpage: vdfuse - x86 virtualization solution
    Thanks so much. Let's say that the vdfuse app mounts the drive or partition but then says that files are unreadable. On Windows there is a tool called Recuva that can do a deep scan and find files for you.

Is there such a thing on Linux?

Thanks.

I am just guessing, as the results depend on the state of that vhd.
    (Again: I would only work with a copy of that vhd.)

But if vdfuse can read the vhd, then it will expose the disk and its partitions as files.
    These files can be loopmounted.
    This mount will already tell if the filesystem needs checks or not. (If the mount succeeds at all)

Say, the mount was sucessful:
    I would first try to copy everything important out of the mountpoint(s).
    If there are errors, then you can unmount and use fsck on the disk/partition files.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    OK, thanks. Fingers crossed

Just Joined!
    VHD files may be corrupted due to various reasons like virus attack, hard drive failure, partition formatted or re-formatted, accidentally deleted partition, corruption of virtual drives etc. In case if you still not able to fix them, then I would like to inform you about an ideal way to fix the file corruption, it is a third party VHD file recovery software which will recover your data easily and safely. You can also download a free trial of this tool from here: vhd.recoverydeletedfiles. com

Just Joined!
    VHD is a file format of virtual machine. I also have a .vhd file but due to some reasons the data of my VHD got corrupted and I needed to fix it.Unfortunately I also didnít have a fresh backup of VHD. Then I found a superb Tool named VHD data recovery tool Unfortunately I also didnít have a fresh backup of VHD. After using its free demo I actually got all my data back along with deleted VHD file items. I followed this URL & get the excellent application.

Read More: filesrecoverytools(dot)com/vhd-data-recovery(dot) html