Find the answer to your Linux question:
I lost my standard gnome console. I want to be able to view the complete screen output from for example revdep-rebuild. I can't seem to find any examples using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What commands can I use to see a complete text mode screen?

I lost my standard gnome console. I want to be able to view the complete screen output from for example revdep-rebuild. I can't seem to find any examples using the more or less command to do this.

Jonathan183 suggested this on a previous post but I may not have implemented it correctly because It did now work for me.

"Redirect the screen output to a text file so you can use less/nano etc to view it and copy it ... emerge -pvuDN world > emerge_output_text". I did not know how to connect less/nano to the the rest.

if you redirected the output then any text editor should do ... including nano
    the other thing you may need to do is redirect output from errors etc
    1> normal_output 2> errors
    see here

Linux User
    To tell you the truth I don't get what you need.

I lost my standard gnome console.
    You mean you only have the text console and lost the gnome GUI?
    Or you can't find a console on your gnome GUI?

If you want to access a console you can use Ctrl-Atl-F1
    ... Ctrl-Atl-F5 ... and so on
    one of them gets you back to your GUI

If you wanna read an output of a command you can put the output into a file and read the content of the file.
    Examle:
    ls -al > filename.txt
    less filename.txt

Or you simly redirect the output into the reader:
    ls -al | less

Linux Newbie
    @Zombykillah First thanks to both you and Jonathan for your response. I have several broken packages and lately added more to the list. I have been using my root terminal, which comes with a scroll bar, so I can view 214 lines of the output of revdep-rebuild. I do not have or know of a workaround when I am on gentoos rescue disk command mode., or when I hit cnt/alt F1. Basically I have a graphical environment that is not working now. I am using the system rescue disk which provides me with one.

This is approximately what I am able to see without the graphical root terminal:

Code:
     >=dev-libs/libgdata-0.9.1 required by (gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
    prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
    possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
    impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
    the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
    not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
    the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
    that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
    page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
     * You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
     * are fixed. Possible reasons for remaining inconsistencies include:
     *   orphaned files
     *   deep dependencies
     *   packages installed outside of portage's control
     *   specially-evaluated libraries
    This is what I would like to see at minimum:

Code:
    [ebuild     U  ] gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.2.2 [2.32.1-r1] USE="cheese%* colord%* cups%* debug* networkmanager%* socialweb%*" 
    [blocks B      ] <gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.1.3 ("<gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.1.3" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.2.2-r1)
    [blocks B      ] app-mobilephone/obexd[server] ("app-mobilephone/obexd[server]" is blocking app-mobilephone/obex-data-server-0.4.5)
    [blocks B      ] <gnome-base/gdm-2.91.94 ("<gnome-base/gdm-2.91.94" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.2.2)
    [blocks B      ] gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio] ("gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio]" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.2.2)
    [blocks B      ] <gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300 ("<gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.2.2)
    [blocks B      ] app-mobilephone/obex-data-server ("app-mobilephone/obex-data-server" is blocking app-mobilephone/obexd-0.43-r1)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
    !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

gnome-base/gnome-panel:0

(gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.32.1-r3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        >=gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.31.2[bonobo] required by (gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.32.1.1::gentoo, installed)
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[bonobo] required by (net-analyzer/gnome-netstatus-2.28.2::gentoo, installed)
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[bonobo] required by (gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-2.32.0-r2::gentoo, installed)
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[bonobo] required by (gnome-extra/deskbar-applet-2.32.0::gentoo, installed)

(gnome-base/gnome-panel-3.2.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

dev-libs/libgweather:2

(dev-libs/libgweather-3.2.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        >=dev-libs/libgweather-2.91:2 required by (gnome-base/gnome-panel-3.2.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
        (and 1 more with the same problem)

(dev-libs/libgweather-2.30.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        <dev-libs/libgweather-2.90.1:2 required by (gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.32.1-r3::gentoo, installed)
        (and 3 more with the same problem)

gnome-base/libgnomekbd:0

(gnome-base/libgnomekbd-3.2.0-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        >=gnome-base/libgnomekbd-2.91.91 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.2.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
        (and 1 more with the same problem)

(gnome-base/libgnomekbd-2.32.0-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

dev-libs/libgdata:0

(dev-libs/libgdata-0.8.1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        <dev-libs/libgdata-0.9 required by (media-video/totem-2.32.0-r2::gentoo, installed)

(dev-libs/libgdata-0.10.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        >=dev-libs/libgdata-0.9.1 required by (gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
    prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
    possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
    impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
    the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
    not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
    the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
    that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
    page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
     * You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
     * are fixed. Possible reasons for remaining inconsistencies include:
     *   orphaned files
     *   deep dependencies
     *   packages installed outside of portage's control
     *   specially-evaluated libraries
    (chroot) sysresccd / #
    I may be over my head in trying to emerge Samba, and fix all the broken packages. Perhaps is a skill I am not prepared for at this time. I say that because I have not even learned to redirect the output of revdep-rebuild. Nevertheless I am still convinced I learn more about linux by actually using it. But here was how I interpreted Jonathan suggestions, seems it seems like I directed my comments at you. This was with a guess on my part, on the revdep-rebuild.txt part.
    my command was as follows: revdep-rebuild 2> revdep-rebuild.txt

I was able to nano -w revdep-rebuild.txt and saw all 214 lines of the revdep-rebuild output. The output is not as clean, as is should be, yet it gives me more info than without it. I will give just a sample of what I mean by "not clean"

[
    Code:
    ^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01m<gnome-extr$
    [^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01mapp-mobilep$
    [^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01m<gnome-base$
    [^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01mgnome-extra$
    [^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01m<gnome-extr$
    [^[[31;01mblocks^[[39;49;00m ^[[31;01mB^[[39;49;00m      ] ^[[31;01mapp-mobilep$

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
    !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

gnome-base/gnome-panel:0

(^[[34mgnome-base/gnome-panel-2.32.1-r3::gentoo^[[39;49;00m, installed) pulle$
        >=gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.31.2[^[[31;01mbonobo^[[39;49;00m] required by (^$
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[^[[31;01mbonobo^[[39;49;00m] required by (^[[34mnet-$
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[^[[31;01mbonobo^[[39;49;00m] required by (^[[34mgnom$
        gnome-base/gnome-panel[^[[31;01mbonobo^[[39;49;00m] required by (^[[34mgnom$

(^[[32mgnome-base/gnome-panel-3.2.1::gentoo^[[39;49;00m, ebuild scheduled for$
                                   [ Read 214 lines ]
    And if anyone wants to suggest I go back to Debian, Archlinux, or the dozen of other distros I have tried., you can. But I am not ready to give up on Gentoo, especially since I am making more progress in the last few weeks, than ever before.

If there was a way I could use the tail command with revdep-rebuild, It would do what I am trying to do at this time.

Note. I did not manually create a file revdep-rebuild.txt. that was generated automatically by revdep-rebuild >2 revdep-rebuild.txt.
    Last edited by frank56; 01-25-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: errors

Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    my command was as follows: revdep-rebuild 2> revdep-rebuild.txt
    redep-rebuild 1> revdep-rebuild-output1 2> revdep-rebuild-output2

now you can use nano, less to see both normal output revdep-rebuild-output1 or error output revdep-rebuild-output2

In your situation I'd probably unmerge conflicting packages and get the gui back and reboot the system, then use revdep-rebuild, then have a go at reinstalling the conflicting packages again one at a time ...

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    redep-rebuild 1> revdep-rebuild-output1 2> revdep-rebuild-output2

now you can use nano, less to see both normal output revdep-rebuild-output1 or error output revdep-rebuild-output2
    This is probably a very basic linux question that most already know, but do I literally type or enter the commands exactly as you I read them, or for example does revdep-rebuild-output1 stand for something else? And, when I nano, I will nano revdep-rebuild-output2 ? again exactly as I read?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    In your situation I'd probably unmerge conflicting packages and get the gui back and reboot the system, then use revdep-rebuild, then have a go at reinstalling the conflicting packages again one at a time ...
    I agree Jonathan, but I have not been able to solve multiple broken package that require libdmalloc.so.5, PAM is one of the broken packages, and that prevents me from using my root gui terminal. When I click on it, I get an error message related to PAM and no no terminal.

This is probably a very basic linux question that most already know, but do I literally type or enter the commands exactly as you I read them, or for example does revdep-rebuild-output1 stand for something else? And, when I nano, I will nano revdep-rebuild-output2 ? again exactly as I read?
    from the first link I posted ...
    The file descriptors for stdin, stdout, and stderr are 0, 1, and 2, respectively.
    you can redirect the output to a file ... what you call the file is up to you, and whether you redirect one or more is up to you. Then use nano or any other text editor/tool to list the file contents.

I agree Jonathan, but I have not been able to solve multiple broken package that require libdmalloc.so.5, PAM is one of the broken packages, and that prevents me from using my root gui terminal. When I click on it, I get an error message related to PAM and no no terminal.
    can you open a regular terminal and sudo or is that broken also ? an alternative would be to redirect the output then chown the file to your regular user

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Jonathan. Before I could try out your suggestion, I had decided to format my hd and start fresh. My future goal is trying to prevent creating broken packages. So far I have, a new hd with more swap, xfce4 instead of gnome, a better fit for my 20 gig hd, and more swap. I was able to emerge samba and pass the testparm test. I have a long way to go learning Samba, and about preventing creating broken packages, but I will consider this problem solved.