Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried net-config eth0 and it still wont ping. My configuration is a wired connection with DHCP. I Have ADSL as my connection type. I tried the PPP method for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

New Install can't connect to Internet

I tried net-config eth0 and it still wont ping.
    My configuration is a wired connection with DHCP.
    I Have ADSL as my connection type.
    I tried the PPP method for adsl to no avail.

I've tried manually configuring but there are too many dam addresses to put in and I think I got something wrong there, too.

This shouldn't be that hard I've been using my comp with a dual-boot with linux distros for years and rarely if ever do I have a problem connecting to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a bit of a pickle!
    I would start again from scratch, reconnecting everything, just to make sure you haven't had a Homer Simpson "D'Oh!" moment.
    It is easy to do, I have made plenty of those myself.

You say your wired connection is DHCP. So, presumably you can find out your IP address from the Connection Information window in the network manager.
    Presumably you know the router IP address also.
    Try pinging this address first. If successful, this eliminates a host of things.

If the problem is that your router or modem cannot connect to your ISP, or that it IS connected, but that you can't access the internet, then these are different problems as well.
    Trouble here is that it is difficult for anyone to know without you posting some more detailed information.

If starting from scratch doesn't fix it (or maybe you are repeating the same problem), hten please post back here with a little more info.
    For example, you might have a router/switch which is connected to a modem (which connects to the ISP for you). Or you might have a stand alone router which does all this.
    Either one can cause a few problems, especially if you are manually configuring the addresses. You might like to try automatic configuration just to see if it cures the problem.

Also, before you go trying the PPP method, etc, find out what your ISP requires. You might not be connecting properly that way.

Most, if not all, OSs and network connection software is pretty robust these days. I would find it very unusual if the software were at fault.
    It is almost always inadvertant misconfiguration by the user.

Hope this helps. When you fix the problem, please post back here what you found to be the issue, and how you fixed it.
    Cheers

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nbob View Post
    I tried net-config eth0 and it still wont ping.
    My configuration is a wired connection with DHCP.
    I Have ADSL as my connection type.
    I tried the PPP method for adsl to no avail.

I've tried manually configuring but there are too many dam addresses to put in and I think I got something wrong there, too.

This shouldn't be that hard I've been using my comp with a dual-boot with linux distros for years and rarely if ever do I have a problem connecting to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.
    If you are using DSL like AT&T you may have to type their ip number in web browser and go through their set up! because that is how they roll!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I am not sure if you solved this already. With my minimal install gentoo cd or system rescue disk I am given the choice of using net-setup eth0. I am then asked if I my connection is wired or wireless. I think the last step is to type ifconfig. What was your display or output of ifconfig ? It will tell you if your hardware was detected correctly. Caution with my advice, I feel very incompetent still., with gentoo and linux in general. .

As frank56 said. Output from the following command will be helpfull:
    #ifconfig -a

All your network interfaces should be shown.
    Normally to connect to a dhcp managed network I run:
    #dhcpcd eth<thenumberofconnectednetwork>

Will be able to give clearer help after you run the first ifconfig -a command.

Oh yes, if the output ifconfig -a only shows 'lo' interface then you probably dont have the correct kernel drivers enabled assuming you have already installed gentoo. If this is the case the output of lspci -v would be helpfull.