Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have not been able to solve this block problem, and websearch solutions still leave me confused. Some call for masking one of the packages, some for using the emerge ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

sys-apps/module-init-tools is blocked by sys-apps/kmod-9999

I have not been able to solve this block problem, and websearch solutions still leave me confused. Some call for masking one of the packages, some for using the emerge -C option, which I am not to famiiar with. Most of my time lately has been taken getting around blocks,It is one gentoo skill I still need to learn. I notice even more experiened Gentoo users, ie Gurus have similar problems. So I do not feel too alone.

Code:
    [ebuild  N     ]    sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1  USE="-static" 0 kB
    [blocks B      ] sys-apps/module-init-tools ("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-9999)
    [blocks B      ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1)

Total: 66 packages (8 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 10 new, 2 in new slots, 45 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 333,900 kB
    Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
     * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/kmod-9999::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        sys-apps/kmod required by @selected

(sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        sys-apps/module-init-tools required by (virtual/modutils-0::gentoo, installed)
        sys-apps/module-init-tools required by (sys-apps/rescan-scsi-bus-1.29::gentoo, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
    section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

Linux Newbie
    The blockage was solved when I unmerged sys-apps/kmod-9999. I went ahead, in spite of a warning, something to the effect that this was a part of my "system profile" and could cause damage to my system. I may regret this sooner or later. I am not sure whether to try to re emerge it now that I removed the blockage.

Try emerging it now.
    Code:
    emerge -avu kmod
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Try emerging it now.
    Code:
    emerge -avu kmod
    Thanks Mike, I forgot to mark as solved. Glad to see you back,glad you got well.

Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    Thanks Mike, I forgot to mark as solved. Glad to see you back,glad you got well.
    Thanks.
    Sometimes, removing a package with that warning will screw your system up bigtime so be very careful with that. The guys at the Gentoo forums are super smart also, check there often. I don't post there much at all unless I have a really big mess but it's a good place to learn all things Gentoo.
    Gentoo Forums :: Index
    But uh, you still have to post here from time to time.
    Glad you got it sorted.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.