Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

sys-apps/module-init-tools is blocked by sys-apps/kmod-9999

I have not been able to solve this block problem, and websearch solutions still leave me confused. Some call for masking one of the packages, some for using the emerge -C option, which I am not to famiiar with. Most of my time lately has been taken getting around blocks,It is one gentoo skill I still need to learn. I notice even more experiened Gentoo users, ie Gurus have similar problems. So I do not feel too alone.

Code:
    [ebuild  N     ]    sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1  USE="-static" 0 kB
    [blocks B      ] sys-apps/module-init-tools ("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-9999)
    [blocks B      ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1)

Total: 66 packages (8 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 10 new, 2 in new slots, 45 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 333,900 kB
    Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
     * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/kmod-9999::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
        sys-apps/kmod required by @selected

(sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
        sys-apps/module-init-tools required by (virtual/modutils-0::gentoo, installed)
        sys-apps/module-init-tools required by (sys-apps/rescan-scsi-bus-1.29::gentoo, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
    section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The blockage was solved when I unmerged sys-apps/kmod-9999. I went ahead, in spite of a warning, something to the effect that this was a part of my "system profile" and could cause damage to my system. I may regret this sooner or later. I am not sure whether to try to re emerge it now that I removed the blockage.

Try emerging it now.
    Code:
    emerge -avu kmod
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Try emerging it now.
    Code:
    emerge -avu kmod
    Thanks Mike, I forgot to mark as solved. Glad to see you back,glad you got well.

Quote Originally Posted by frank56 View Post
    Thanks Mike, I forgot to mark as solved. Glad to see you back,glad you got well.
    Thanks.
    Sometimes, removing a package with that warning will screw your system up bigtime so be very careful with that. The guys at the Gentoo forums are super smart also, check there often. I don't post there much at all unless I have a really big mess but it's a good place to learn all things Gentoo.
    Gentoo Forums :: Index
    But uh, you still have to post here from time to time.
    Glad you got it sorted.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.