Find the answer to your Linux question:
does anyone know where I can find the old universal install cds and the packages disc? I have an old computer with which I want to screw around with but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

universal install cd

does anyone know where I can find the old universal install cds and the packages disc? I have an old computer with which I want to screw around with but I don't want to re download everything every time I want to start over and try something different, since the computer is five or six years old I'm figuring the universal disc would be ideal and I do have fond memories of 2004.2 (until the cat slept on the keyboard destroying the computer lol)

Scroll to the bottom of this link, I was able to find 11, 11.0 and 12.0. You could also, on the same link above, Try the Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD and Stages (autobuilds)

Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux

EDIT: See this link too. I Found 10.0 and Gentoo 2008-0
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04982
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 03-24-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the quick reply, checked out those links and all the images seem to be for amd64 (despite the hyperlink being labeled x86) am I just getting confused by the labeling having amd64 in the name? would one of these images work on an old celeron?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You probably want the x86 iso.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Yes but I checked the x86 link and the amd64 link and found the isos have the same name, I'm thinking it would just be best to use what I have in the past, is there any way I can get the old 2004.2 universal and packages disc? (and yes I know it won't sync with current repos)

Maybe you can find it on some old FTP sites or something. It's going to take some looking for sure.

Not sure if i686 or not but here you go

exGENT Linux LiveCD

I just got back from spending my hard earnings from this week. So kinda off kilter posting.

Here is the swedish page which goes into more detail. I have translate tool in SeaMonkey but to bleary eyed to read it. Lots of info there if you have a page translator in your browser,

Link

Maybe I shouldn't be posting at all.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input but I'm not after a gentoo derivative (if I were I'd use sabayon) I'm after the old universal install discs that I'm used to

Just Joined!
    no kidding, you'll find that by by looking for it in google you'll only get dead links, ended up getting it by emailing the gentoo developers