Find the answer to your Linux question:
i.imgur.com/IR9uM.png I get these errors when I boot up my system, and I have really no idea what they mean. I know the kernel goes into panic, but I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems installing gentoo in a virtual box

i.imgur.com/IR9uM.png
    I get these errors when I boot up my system, and I have really no idea what they mean. I know the kernel goes into panic, but I have no clue as to why that happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You get these errors when you boot the virtual machine, or you get them when you boot the host? What is your host operating system? What version of VirtualBox are you running? What are the configuration settings of your VM for Gentoo? Is your host 64-bit or 32-bit. Have you enabled the VT-X and other virtualization extensions in your host system BIOS? Are you trying to run 32-bit or 64-bit Gentoo? I could ask more questions, but these will get the process started to help you. FWIW, I run VirtualBox on both Windows and Linux hosts. FWIW, I run Linux VMs under Windows 7, and Linux, Solaris, QNX, Windows XP, and DOS in VM's under Linux. I even do kernel module development in these virtual machines, so I know a bit about it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnardog777 View Post
    i.imgur.com/IR9uM.png
    I get these errors when I boot up my system, and I have really no idea what they mean. I know the kernel goes into panic, but I have no clue as to why that happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are there more errors further up the console?
    It has been my experience that "not syncing" means the kernel saw "bad things" happening and forced itself and init to not write to the disk since that might cause more harm than good.

That being said, one of the most common problems I've seen (and preformed myself!) is forgetting to compile the driver for the root file system directly into the kernel rather then as a module (which would require an initial ram file system).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close