Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
While I've not used Arch, there is a wiki page for offline software installation: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...on_of_Packages...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

While I've not used Arch, there is a wiki page for offline software installation:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...on_of_Packages
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    This is awesome just what I was looking for thanks. I wonder if I can download one list and use it to update all my computers.

You might be able to download the lists for core, xorg and whatever else goes in a base install.
    Other than that, maybe build a database from your computers and use that as a list.

Looking over that page again, it should be applicable to Gentoo, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Have to tell you as I just installed it yesterday and is a Gentoo type Linux. The distro I am talking about is called Sabayon 9 and you want to talk about functionality and a brilliant design and operation, this is it! Built in at load is Wine a parts of Virtualbox and video drivers that have been terrorizing Linux systems for a while now. Do not be fooled by the lack of installation graphics as Sabayon is a system anyone would be proud of. The sophistication of loading an entire system with drivers and operating system files, tends to mess up when fancy graphics are implemented. The developer in his sheer brilliance understands the fact and was intent on making the installation perfect! Load time is in the area of 20 minutes which is half the time of some distros requiring internet connections. Brilliant design on the desktop(Gnome Version) that just has to be seen to believed! These developers need some kind of major congratulation for understanding major disasters in OS's and a great way around those disasters to make users able to use and enjoy!!!! If I could only join their forum I will, cause after yesterday am a total fan! Please people do yourself a major favor and give Sabayon 9 a try, will bet that it will bring a smile to your face instead of hours of aggravation! I know it has for me! Am now free of Apollo 13(Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon). That is one system I advise to steer clear from. Is a real disaster area for us folks with ATI drivers! Yes you have to use a package manager called Rigo, but at least it works! By no means do I want to get into what is happening with other repos and the apt-get command! Could talk for days on that one. Better off with a real manager like Rigo! Take care enjoy Linux whatever distro you may decide on but will just add that Sabayon thus far appears to be the best Linux or any OS can offer!

You won't be bored with Gentoo

Just Joined!
    I got upset with it the other day and dumped it! I know I don't have loads of time in as a linux user, but to me when a system updates, maybe stuff such as the system itself should be updated? Updates messed with some settings I had for my desktop theme, then disabled extensions I had downloaded for the Gnome 3.4 desktop! Overstepped its bounds. Found out was juicing me on Virtualbox giving me only 128mb of video memory to supply to systems I was looking at! Very upsetting! It was way too much seeing 7 triangles when going into the advanced settings! I think that is a terrible way to fix a problem is to make a decision for someone and not tell them what you are doing! When it concerns programs that directly affect me, I get angry! If Sabayon wants to be useful should be updating programs instead of turning them off! I spent quite awhile getting the weather extension to show my small town's weather, and in a matter of a 10 minute update, no more! Well I updated too! Am once again on Ultimate, of course this time is not MS Win7 Ultimate is the Linux Ultimate Edition. Sure is some hassles here and there, but thus far looks good enough to stay with! Sabayon is for users that have all day to wait for updates and have wired connections that are lightning fast! Us Verizon wireless users get wrecked by distros as Sabayon since they will get us over that 5gig limit in a matter of a couple weeks! Is a great system for users that don't want control of their system and can just hold out til one day the developer actually fixes the problem! I would hate to go to the developer's house cause bet his bathroom is boarded up or something else that isn't working! LOL I just think that is way below par for a system that is supposed to be so great having a cheap fix as such!

To be honest, Gentoo and its derivatives are for the more advanced linux user. You know the saying "it gives you just enough rope to hang yourself"? Well, gentoo doesn't even supply the rope, just the twine to make the rope.

Although, if you put the time into it, it will be the last distro you ever use because of the customization. I can't hardly use another distro because 1.) I know gentoo extremely well, and 2.) no other distro offers the level of customization that gentoo has except maybe LFS.
    RobertF likes this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Is LFS updateable it sounds like it may be fun to do. possibly a nice winter project.

Yes, it is like gentoo, a rolling release. You keep it up to date. As a matter of fact, you do all of your own dependency checking also.

Last I heard you could install pretty much whatever package manager you wanted also.

It is more than a winter project, it will consume your life, lol.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I would suggest checking out calculate linux. I mean, it is basically an installer for gentoo with much of the backend stuff such as controlling the stability for you. It is also a rolling release like arch so that is cool. You can install via binary and/or source which is pretty awesome. You will find though that compiling everything native uses less resources in the end on your system but takes a lot of time before hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast