Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Just want to throw this out there. Is there a program to auto config the kernel settings. Not as in install everything but a... bare option with what your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel config

Hey,

Just want to throw this out there. Is there a program to auto config the kernel settings. Not as in install everything but a... bare option with what your computer hardware can actually use.

For instance, say computer needs option a, b, c and yet doesn't need option d-g but can use h for kvm. Is there a program that can cross reference what your hardware specs are and optimize it for you I guess is what I am getting at that way you don't have unneccessary modules installed.

Thanks for any help, if not... I know what my next project is.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pirieianip View Post
    Hey,

Just want to throw this out there. Is there a program to auto config the kernel settings. Not as in install everything but a... bare option with what your computer hardware can actually use.

For instance, say computer needs option a, b, c and yet doesn't need option d-g but can use h for kvm. Is there a program that can cross reference what your hardware specs are and optimize it for you I guess is what I am getting at that way you don't have unneccessary modules installed.

Thanks for any help, if not... I know what my next project is.

Ian
    Not that I am aware of, if you find one let me know. I get tired of rebuilding kernels so I usually skip three or four before I will update it.
    You can generate a .config from a running kernel, however.
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6084695.html
    (May take awhile to load)
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Although it is not recomended you could use your .config file from an older kernel to build new kernel.
    1. copy .config from previously configured kernel to .config.old to the root folder of new kernel.
    2. run make oldconfig and set new options

Settings that have not changed from the old config get carried over.
    Gentoo documentation do not recomend this, I have used this once or twice but to be honest configuring kernel for my machines has kinda become second nature to me. You get used to the settings you use often.

For more information about using old .config see the gentoo kernel config guide.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    There are make's configuration targets that let you update existing config depending on what's in use modules wise.
    Code:
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > make help
    to see what can be done and
    Code:
    > make localmodconfig
    If using genkernel
    Code:
    > cp .config /etc/kernels/kernel-config-ARCH-VER-gentoo
    >genkernel --menuconfig all
    Every piece of hardware that was in use during "make localmodconfig" should be enabled in that config, but things that weren't in use have to be reenabled. I'm talking fs types, usb storage etc. Check those.

Regarding oldconfig - i'm using it since 3.0 (now on 3.6) and didnt have any issues. OFC kernel config is quite 'personal' matter, so anything can happen to your config