Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, trying to install Gentoo (stage1). I setup as according to the handbook, and downloaded the sources for bootstraping before compiling them. Files downloaded fine, but when I try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Bootstrap error

Okay, trying to install Gentoo (stage1). I setup as according to the handbook, and downloaded the sources for bootstraping before compiling them.
    Files downloaded fine, but when I try to run the actual bootstrapping, it gets to configuring the gettext package, and errors out. According to it, the c-compiler couldn't even output test binaries from the configure script...
    EDIT2: Found out that the bootstrap-2.6.sh script was deprecated... Also found out that the -O3 CFLAGS optimization breaks compatibility with hardened, and I was trying to use both. Well I tried turning off hardened, no good. Then I tried turning off O3 instead. Still no good. What could be wrong?
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Enthusiast
    The 'edit post' option overwrote the first edit- reposting since it doesn't work right.
    I found this is the same problem I have, although with a much older version of gettext. As I mentioned above, the reccomended script is deprecated, and everything I've tried has no effect.
    An additional error is that it warns to use --build instead of --host to set the build type, but I doubt that's the issue.

Linux Enthusiast

fixed

I managed to work around the problem by disabling native lanuage support, which luckily I don't need (i hope).
    This meant I didn't need to compile gettext for the bootstrap, and it just went on and started compiling glibc without any problems.
    I'd still like to know what the problem was if anyone knows.

EDIT: As has been my luck with Gentoo so far, glibc compiled, and the next program immediately failed, for the exact same reason as gettext/nls...

EDIT2: Nevermind, I scrapped it and used a stage2-tarball instead. All problems in regard to the original post are solved.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close