Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had instructions or a website that tells you how to perform a stage 1 gentoo installation. About a year ago i installed gentoo using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo stage 1 installation info?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had instructions or a website that tells you how to perform a stage 1 gentoo installation. About a year ago i installed gentoo using the stage 3 installation instructions. Somewhere it mentioned that gentoo stage 1 instructions were not covered in the book but they still release the tarballs to the public. Does anyone know where i could get the tarballs and any websites that have instructions on how to use them? thanks

Trusted Penguin
    You can get the original stage 1 tarballs here:

Index of ftp://ftp.technion.ac.il/pub/Linux/Gentoo/current/stages/x86

(not easy to find!)

Here's an old install guide:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...fiordland.html

However, it looks to be a Herculean effort to get it all going, based upon the little I've read about Stage 1 Gentoo (deprecated, use Stage 3, you'll void your warranty, etc.)...so good luck!

Stage 1 install is not necessary. If you really want to go through that, install LFS.

Just do a stage 3 install, and when you get up and running, run these commands and it will be the same as doing a stage 1 install without all of the wasted time:
    Code:
    emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Thanks you guys!