Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, iīm installing gentoo from a minimal livecd, and when I try to set up the wireless, with WEP encryption something goes wrong, here is a pastebien with the commands ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless, help plz!!

Hi, iīm installing gentoo from a minimal livecd, and when I try to set up the wireless, with WEP encryption something goes wrong, here is a pastebien with the commands I type, maybe some1 could help me, i donīt know what more to do :S

pastebin . c om/8Q FqPHrp

Iīve tried writing web key in hex, in ascii, esiid "mi Wifi" or Mi\ Wifi, but nothing works, any help? thx

Hello and Welcome.
    Have you gotten xorg installed yet? Are you using the handbook?
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Wireless Networking
    Have you seen our Howto?
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I know that link above it mashed so you could paste it but I cannot get it to work.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yes, iīm using handbook, but I canīt download wireless-tools cause I havenīt set up my net yet and Iīm on the livecd minimal, I havenīt installed gentoo yet

Quote Originally Posted by AntI-Her0 View Post
    yes, iīm using handbook, but I canīt download wireless-tools cause I havenīt set up my net yet and Iīm on the livecd minimal, I havenīt installed gentoo yet
    Good deal. I suggest that you download any other LiveCD and use that to install Gentoo, the minimal CD is a royal PITA. I usually download parted magic to USB and install from there using the "Chroot" method. But any LiveCD/DVD should work. This way you will have access to the Internet and other things while installing Gentoo.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Iīm using system rescue cd cause the official gentoo minimal cd doesnīt have the module for the wireless card. Parted Magic to usb?? i didnīt know it? what does it do?? thx

Edit: I searched it in google, looks good, iīll try it, thx for all, iīll comment if I have success

See this link when you begin installing from LiveCD. SRCD should work fine as long as you can get the Internet working before you begin the install.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO

Just Joined!
    I must have the partition table before enter chroot right??

what is SRCD??

thx for all.

Quote Originally Posted by AntI-Her0 View Post
    I must have the partition table before enter chroot right??

what is SRCD??

thx for all.
    Yes, you must create the partitions and format them first.....use the handbook until you get to the networking section, from there you will jump to the "Chroot" guide and then back to the handbook to chapter 4 to continue where you left off.
    SRCD=System Rescue CD you have.

Just Joined!
    thatīs the problem, SRCD detect the card, but doesnīt works idk why, itīs so strange :S

Sorry, you can create the partitions and format them after you "chroot". It's just personal preference I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast