Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to dual boot XP and Gentoo. I have a Pentium 4 2.5 1GIG RAM and I have 5 hard drives on my system. I have a 40GIG IDE, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Dual boot questions

Im trying to dual boot XP and Gentoo. I have a Pentium 4 2.5 1GIG RAM and I have 5 hard drives on my system. I have a 40GIG IDE, a 20 GIG IDE, 2 17GIG SCSI, and 1 35GIG SCSI. Im not a gamer so I dont need all that video quality but I do have a dual head Matrox G550 card.
    When I choose my stage should I choose Pentium 4 or should I use x86. With the Pentium 4 you can only do a stage 2 or stage 3 install. I want to be able to start from stage 1.
    How should I set up my hard disks? Should I install it on my bigger SCSI or the bigger IDE? What do you suggest about the stage as well?
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Linux Guru
    I'd suggest you do a stage 3 install however you like, learn from the experience and then do something different based on that. I'm guessing that a stage 3 install will be a pretty good challenge for you to start with. You will be able to install easily into 5Gb and then if you want more room, mount additional space to your /home/yournamehere directory or something like that. I don't think any demanding Linux user gets their first install just the way they want, so just do it, learn and do better later.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I'll have to agree with that. Stage 3 is enough of a challenge unless you're a veteran and know your way around your computer. In that case I think there is a stage 1 for pentium 4 as bittorrent... I'm not sure though.