Find the answer to your Linux question:
In order to work with certain software, I need to install gentoo with the 2.6.24 kernel. Is it possible to simply install the most up-to-date version of gentoo and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing With Older Kernel

In order to work with certain software, I need to install gentoo with the 2.6.24 kernel. Is it possible to simply install the most up-to-date version of gentoo and then just swap the old kernel in?

Gentoo.org doesn't have any versions of the distro this old, at least from what I can tell.

Any other suggestions?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwarz View Post
    In order to work with certain software, I need to install gentoo with the 2.6.24 kernel. Is it possible to simply install the most up-to-date version of gentoo and then just swap the old kernel in?

Gentoo.org doesn't have any versions of the distro this old, at least from what I can tell.

Any other suggestions?
    Hello and welcome!

It's been a few years since I last installed Gentoo so I might be wrong about this but I believe a current version of Gentoo will be very problematic trying to use a much older kernel with it because so much has changed since the kernel went from the 2.6.x series to the newer 3.x kernels. Perhaps you could find an older version of Gentoo (or a Gentoo fork) that contains the older kernel, but even then updates will likely become problematic. Maybe a current Gentoo user will chime in with some better, or more accurate info for you.

Hope you are able to put together a system with whatever you need.
    oz

The best I can figure in my mind without even looking it up......Grab your preferred kernel from kernel.org and begin building Gentoo with that kernel versus trying to swap out a kernel. You might have better luck with Linux from scratch but even then you are likely to run into problems. I think a lot of important daemons and services will not run with a kernel that old but you can try.

Just in case you don't know, Gentoo and LFS are not "Install and run" distros. They are source based distros and you pretty muvh build them from the ground up. It can take days to get either one installed unless you have done it before.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The first option would be to bring that "certain software" up to date. However, if this is not feasible I'd resort to a virtual machine and install some RH (or whatever comes with 2.4) as a guest.

Just Joined!
    The "certain software" I need to use is the madwifi driver. As far as I know it only works with the 2.6.24 kernel or earlier. I'm currently in the process of building. I'm using the most recent stage3 and portage snapshot from gentoo.org. Planning to just compile the 2.6 kernel and drop it in. Don't really have much to lose from trying it out I guess...

Madwifi is now built into the kernel. Just FYI.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I have tried the madwifi driver in the current kernels on a large range of madwifi devices, and it works fine.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Is Madwifi called something different in the newest kernels? I can't seem to find it when running "make menuconfig." I'm using gentoo-sources-3.3.8.

Yes. the drivers will start with ath something. ath9k ath5k, etc... Just find the one that matches your chip set.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry