Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I am having an issue that I can't seem to figure out. If I boot into Windows and then reboot into Sabayon my wireless interface does not work. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless interface not coming up on reboot

Hello,

I am having an issue that I can't seem to figure out. If I boot into Windows and then reboot into Sabayon my wireless interface does not work. I am using NetworkManager for interface management (one of these days I'll setup my system so I don't need NM).

After a while it will start working again but I do not understand why it doesn't work right after reboot from window.

Anyone have an idea what I could look at the next time It doesn't want to work?

Thnx.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Linux Newbie
    I have problems when Windows preforms an upgrade. It seams to send an RF -Kill that Linux can't override. If I reboot Windows and let it install the updates then reboot to Linux it works.

I'm not getting any updates. Just not able to use wireless for about an hour.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Funny I have a similar problem in some way. If I boot directly into linux wired ethernet works fine. If I boot to WinXP it works fine too, but if I reboot to linux right after a windows session I will be able to download some kilobytes. after that ethernet interface stops receiving. If i turn off the computer for some hours I'll have ethernet after direct boot into linux. short-wiring the power cord fork helps.

Yeah, this is strange and I don't know what windows is doing to cause this effect.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Anybody thought of running

Code:
    dmesg | tail
    or

Code:
    network-manager
    from terminal. Maybe something will pop out at you and give you a idea what is going on .
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yeah. Windoze likes to write stuff to the BIOS Firmware data area that sometimes cause Linux problems with hardware like this. I'm not sure what you can do to alleviate that, other than to only run Windows in a Linux virtual machine...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I seem to remember that Windows is actually putting the device to sleep on shutdown and somehow that action survives when booting into linux. its been around for a long time and it affecting all different kinds of devices. I sadly do not have a link or remedy.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, I guess we are all clueless... Solution? Only run Windoze in a Linux VM, or vice versa. Either works well for me!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Maybe you could try to force the device to Suspend or Hibernate within Linux and then wake it up again just to see if it helps?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast