Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I go to use emerge, it can only use a couple of the sites, but it still runs through the entire list and times out on most of them. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Downloading problems while installing.

When I go to use emerge, it can only use a couple of the sites, but it still runs through the entire list and times out on most of them. Does anyone else have this problem? I usually get stuck on a file that it can not find in the list of sites, preventing me from moving forward. I am behind a router, and am a noob who decided to bite the bullet and just jump right in.

Ed

try:
    Code:
    mirrorselect -a -s4 -o | grep 'GENTOO_MIRRORS=' >> /etc/make.conf
    then remove any gibberish/garbage/etc. from the end of /etc/make.conf that mirrorselect might erroneously output

Just Joined!
    Ya I did that, but am just starting all over. I think its like my fifth time? lol. The last time my router shitted out on me, so Im just starting fresh. Well see how this round goes. Thnx for the help.

Ed

Linux Enthusiast
    I strongly reccomend NOT using mirrorselect. I tried that, and it gave me slower speed than the defaults. Not only that, some packages it couldn't even find, and it just did an endless loop of not connecting.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Ok so I am assuming that because I have already run mirrorselect, to reverse that, I can just remove the lines from make.conf.

O hey, and while I am installing it, because I have my rigs on a KVM switch, I switch to my main rig to do other things while I am installing on my test box. When I get back to my test box it says that the mouse is out of sync and is throwing away the bytes. Figured that this won't change the install in any way, but just thought Id ask.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, you just need to remove the mirrorselect lines from make.conf.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Instead of running that command to find the closest mirror site to you, I would look it up myself!!! Go to Gentoo's site and click on mirror sites. Pick the one closest to you and add it in by hand (/etc/make.conf),

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://<whatever the site is> http://gentoo.osuosl.org"
    RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180

My download has been much faster since I did that...

taurus

Quote Originally Posted by taurus
    Instead of running that command to find the closest mirror site to you, I would look it up myself!!! Go to Gentoo's site and click on mirror sites. Pick the one closest to you and add it in by hand (/etc/make.conf),

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://<whatever the site is> http://gentoo.osuosl.org"
    RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180

My download has been much faster since I did that...

taurus
    But make sure that you check pings for latency before you add them. And also add a few to ensure that you can find the files that you need in each of them.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    It worked when I removed the lines from make.conf, and just did not use mirrorselect. Thnx for the help guys, and am just waiting for gnome to finish.

Ed