Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, During an installation from the Gentoo 2004.3 LiveCD, I emerged kde. After everything installed, I ran 'Xorg -configure" and it returned an error: Symbol XAAScreenIndex from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glint_drv.o ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xorg KDE video driver problem

Hi all,

During an installation from the Gentoo 2004.3 LiveCD, I emerged kde. After everything installed, I ran 'Xorg -configure" and it returned an error:

Symbol XAAScreenIndex from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glint_drv.o is unresolved!

This error was on about 7 or 8 lines. When I executed 'xorgconfig' to set up the configuration, I used the AccellStar Permidia 2 AGP driver, since that is the card I have. This returned the same error when I ran 'startx'. I also tried the Linux Framebuffer driver through xorgconfig and got a 'Fatal error: no screens found' error from startx. The AccellStar driver has worked in the past on both Gentoo (from the 2004.1 CD) and Mandrake as well. Is there a step I may be missing here?

Also of note, some of the files needed to install certain items do not appear to be on the LiveCD. (e.g., files for hotplug come to mind, and various kde files). I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. You're supposed to be able to do a networkless install with the LiveCD using stage3 and GRP, but 'emerge hotplug' and 'emerge --usepkg kde' both attempt to contact mirrors to download certain files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

EDIT: disregaurd this ....er it is in the wroung thread or ansawered the wrong thingin wrong place...
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I think you need to make sure you also have the package cd if you want to install KDE, but its been awhile since ive read the gentoo handbook, and a long while since my last fresh gentoo/x install. Check and make sure, it seems like that would be alot to fit on one CD... i mean i know knoppix can do it, but all that source...
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your replies. I do have the checkbox checked to notify me when a reply is posted, but I never received an email.

Anway, yes I have noticed a lot of things seem broken on the 2004.3 CDs. I do have the LiveCD and Packages CD for both 2004.3 and 2004.2. I may try 2004.2, or just wait for 2005.0. I realize with Gentoo, it doesn't really matter which CD version you use to install (as long as it works) because you can just update the entire system after install, but I'll probably wait for 2005.0 anyway. Anyone know when that will come out?

As another option, is it possible to use the glint_drv.o file from the 2004.2 CD?

what does the file do, I don't recognize it, looks like a plugin or module of some sort..
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I am assuming the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glint_drv.o file is the video driver for the video card that I am using. I have an AccelStar Permidia 2 AGP 8 MB card. At least that's what all the other distros I've tried detect it as.

I've tried using other drivers including generic VESA and Linux Frame Buffer with this card (under Gentoo 2004.3). Nothing works. I either get the unresolved symbol errors, or simply "no screens found".