Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
1. Where is the log file of the messages i see during boot time (the messages with the [ok]) 2. How can I view the list of packages i've emerged ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 begginer questions

1. Where is the log file of the messages i see during boot time (the messages with the [ok])

2. How can I view the list of packages i've emerged ?

thanks.

Re: 2 begginer questions

Quote Originally Posted by hq4ever
    1. Where is the log file of the messages i see during boot time (the messages with the [ok])
    /var/log/boot.log I think

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think it logs those directly, but I'm not sure. It probably does log them, but not in that format.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eugrus
    Quote Originally Posted by hq4ever
    /var/log/boot.log I think
    That is my problem : I don't have /var/log/boot.log
    - where should i define my logger to log this ?
    - In fact, how can i know what my loggin deamon is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    I don't think it logs those directly, but I'm not sure. It probably does log them, but not in that format.
    Well, I don't need them with the [ok] exactly, I can do pretty well with log that holds only errors accuring during boot time. The problem is that i don't know where gentoo keeps that, It must be logged some where, no ?

Thank you eugrus, Stormblazer for your comments.

BTW, what about my second question ?

Linux Engineer
    Logs are kept in /var/log. The particular one you're looking for might be called boot.msg, messages, sys.log, or something else, just ls in that directory and look through whichever one(s) look like it might be it.

Also, check out the dmesg command.

Yah...services running after init takes over (i.e.: what you're looking for) should be in /var/log/messages.

As for the list of things you've merged...Check /var/lib/portage/world. That is everything that you specifically merge. If you want to see what all is merged (deps and stuff), they are in /var/db/pkg/.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Enthusiast
    So THAT's where the world profile was stored.
    But if you emerged anything with the --oneshot option, it won't be in the world profile.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    So THAT's where the world profile was stored.
    But if you emerged anything with the --oneshot option, it won't be in the world profile.
    Yeah...they moved it some time ago (couple months) and confused the crap outta me.

But Stormrider is correct...the --oneshot option does not put it in the world profile. This shouldn't be a problem for you, though, as usually this is used when you're messing around with packages in the system profile (glibc, gcc, etc.).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Yeah...they moved it some time ago (couple months) and confused the crap outta me.
    heheheh i saw where it went but then i forgot to write it down.....loft306 wishes they would stop moving stuff around!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

When I was looking for an exact copy of the boot dialogue, I found something that said some of it, but not all, so I have to use scroll lock and then note down the errors long hand - a total pain.

As for checking on packages and stuff, I installed this http://standsolid.com/project_guitoo/.

it seems to do the job quite well and gives a graphical view of the portage tree - I did have to do the "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS" thing (sorry cant remember what the file you have to change is - search the gentoo.org forums my question was there).

regards

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast