Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face Do my USE flags look right for a basic installation?

Just opened an account with linuxforums and excited to be apart of the community! I've lurked some of the threads & stickies, and only one question remains... Would these be the most effective tags for such a basic install? (I am just doing a basic Gentoo system with either AwesomeWM or DWM in mind.)
    Code:
    USE="
    # wanted
    alsa bindist dvd gcc gtk mmx pulseaudio sse sse2 
    # unwanted
    -gnome -kde -qt4
    "
    Thanks in advance for any help!

The use flags for each package you emerge are determined by a combination of the profile you select, information you put in /etc/portage/make.conf, and what you put in /etc/portage/package.use which allows flags to be set on a per package basis. When I first started using gentoo I struggled to get packages to emerge in part due to the USE flag settings I chose.
    Code:
    eselect profile list
    can be used to show the profiles available and what you have selected.
    You can check the combination of profile and your make.conf USE settings with
    Code:
    emerge --info
    You can also check this threat.

For an individual package you should review
    Code:
    emerge -pv the_package_to_emerge
    You get to chose what is included or excluded for a particular package, what is going to work best for you will have to be worked out by you

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It took me a couple of weeks of Sundays in my spare time (evenings) to work this stuff out. I made lots of mistakes, but eventually I was able to generate a really reliable and fast system with Gentoo. Installing new packages required some research to determine what the default USE flags should be, though most of them have those settings properly configured. For my next new workstation, I may go back to Gentoo simple because it provides such tight control of the system - no unnecessary drivers or other kernel cruft or applications you don't want or need.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close